$1000 newbie gaming rig build.

hi-rev

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1 to 2 months from now

BUDGET RANGE: Around 1000 after rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming is the only intensive task I'll have to worry about and its all word processing, movie watching, audio, and net surfing from there on.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: mouse, keyboard

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I'll be looking at a new one, probably atleast 1280x1024

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Any help would be appreciated. I play mostly TF2, but I'd like to start playing new titles smoothly. I'm coming from a T60 laptop with 128 MB GPU, so this is quite a step up for me.

Thanks!

build1n.png

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3P LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb MOBO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128417

verst

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I'll just follow your list of components...

HDD - right now Samsung Spinpoint F3 is the best disk, comes in 500GB, 1 and 2 TB sizes...

RAM - that memory is DDR2, you need DDR3 RAM for an 1156 build, try: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Mobo: that motherboard does not support 2 graphic cards, try one of these:
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P
keeping in mind you lose U3S6 features when you crossfire or sli on the latter...

Other than that it looks good :)

One note to add. The USB 3/SATA III being disabled during Crossfire is only applicable to the Gigabyte board.

Since you're looking at monitors (and it must have been a while, as you can't buy anything with only 1280x), get at least a 1900x model. Asus makes a 21.5" one for only $160.

If you get that, you should think about switching to an AMD build. If you pick up the X4 955 ($161) and Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 ($140), you can afford to up the GPU to the HD 5870. The 5870 is a better choice for that high of a resolution, as it can play every game at full details, while the 5850 will not (Crysis is the main exception). The list will increase as newer games become more graphics intensive and DirectX 11 becomes more useful.

hi-rev

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Thanks for the reply, and yes it has been a very long while (6 years to be exact).

I'm actually looking into an AMD build, I'll post it up sometime later. The lower pricing from the AMD is extremely enticing.

hi-rev

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Ok so here's that AMD build I've been working on

amd1.jpg

XFX HD-477A-YDFC Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150369

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193

My main concern now is a good base that will leave room for expansion later down the road. I'll settle on a lower end card as shown above since I mainly play TF2 and I don't have alot of time to start new games. That being said, this build comes to $935. Thanks for all the help!

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
After rebates that comes to $906 and it will play any game out today at max settings at 1900x1200 (except crysis, but who cares about that crappy poorly rendered game any way right?)

I would pick the above build over your build any day. But I'm sure madadmiral has a better suggestion then me seeing as he knows a whole lot more about this then me :p

5850 + 945 > 4770 + 965

your looking at more then double the performance in games with the above option.

Not quite what I was thinking...

CPU/Mobo: X4 620 and Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 $221
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $55
Case: HAF 922 $90 after rebate
GPU/PSU: HD 5870 and Antec Earthwatts 750W $463
HSF/Optical: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus and cheap SATA DVD burner $46

Total: $990. You didn't mention if you needed an OS or not, and since one wasn't in the screenshots, I assumed you didn't need one in the budget.

I went really low on the CPU, but you didn't list anything that's CPU intensive in your uses. That allows the 5870 to fit in the budget, which will allow you to play every game out at max details on 1900x monitors. While the only difference between it and the 5850 right now is Crysis, once more GPU intensive games come out and DirectX 11 becomes more useful, the 5850 will fall further behind.

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Madadmiral what about this? It's identical to your build except a better processor and a different case. It's a total of $4 more then your build (shipping + rebates apply)

http://i47.tinypic.com/2s7dxn7.png

2s7dxn7.png

*EDIT* Madadmirals build comes to a TOTAL of $1008 (including shipping + rebates) My build comes to a TOTAL of $1012 (including shipping + rebates)

Difference between both builds.

1. 2.8 ghz Phenom II quad core > 2.6 ghz AMD athlon quad core. (athlon processor is slower, no L3 cache)

2. Haf 922 > CM-690 (Haff has better cooling, it's also bigger, it looks cooler.)

hi-rev

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Thanks all for the reply. After reevaluating my current needs and circumstances along with more research, I've come to the following conclusion.

I don't need an OS since I have Win7 lying around and I suppose gaming will be the only CPU intensive activity this rig will see, but I do multitask quite a bit when I'm doing research work. I definitely would like to go into sli/crossfire in the future as well as OC the gpu/cpu when I have more time to blow away on intensive gaming. However, as of right now, I don't really see myself being able to spend enough time playing new pc games. When time is free, I'm content with playing just TF2 right now. I'm willing to forgo a high end gpu in favor of something cheaper since the 5870 seems like overkill for my current needs. When more funds and time is made available, I'll definitely go towards a dual card setup for heavy duty gaming.

My budget is still within the $1000 range give or take, but I would rather have a good MOBO, CPU, power supply, and memory to provide a solid foundation for when I decide to OC and install dual gpu.

Any inputs? And thanks again for the suggestions.

That one would work too. I went with the cheaper CPU because you can easily overclock it to be the same. The HAF would be an investment that could easily carry over to several builds.

I absolutely hate Lian Li cases. I think they are overpriced. Considering that the HAF 922 is only $100 after rebates with shipping, and that one is $120, and that the Lian Li is smaller and doesn't have some additional features makes it not a better choice. I also hate when the company states it's tool-less. Almost all cases are tool-less. That doesn't make it a feature. That makes it standard.

The HAF is easily the best case on the market. The only cases that compete for this are much more expensive.

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Hi-rev a better CPU isn't really going to help anything. Multi-tasking and gaming are going to perform just about the same with a more expensive cpu towards a less expensive cpu. However a better GPU will affect gaming immensely. It's much better to get a less expensive CPU and a more expensive GPU even if your not going to be gaming that much.

This way you won't have to worry about anything for a long time, however if you buy a low end gpu like the one you selected you will encounter a lot of games you won't be able to play very soon.

I doubt you'll see a big difference in a 965 over a 925 in anything to be honest. But maybe I'm wrong.

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
You could do this.... That way you can still OC your Phenom II 940 and have a killer video card. But I wouldn't suggest that over the two builds me and madadmiral suggested because you won't see that much difference in anything with the better processor, however you will see a difference in games with the 5870 over the 5850. But I decided to post this option any way since you want a better processor. Your choice.

http://i49.tinypic.com/kn5uc.png

kn5uc.png

Any of the builds posted here would be good for gaming. They just differ in some minor details. I have no doubt that any of them would be a great PC.

Right now, you probably wouldn't notice a difference between the 5850 and the 5870, but it's likely you will in the future, which can be an important aspect to consider.

hi-rev

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

Thanks you guys have been helpful, its kind of fun sorting through all the endless combos that I could put into a rig. Whitefang, the link you posted won't show up.