Sign in with
Your question

Do these numbers seem right to you?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 5, 2012 7:05:52 PM

Hi there I'm currently OCing my 2500k on my MSI Z77a-G45 mobo and I was just wondering if these numbers seem normal to you?

I've got it running at 4.5Ghz on 1.28v and after 10 mins of Prime95 my max temp is 61c (Hyper 212 EVO)

Does this seem right to you?
How much longer should i run Prime?

-SublimeOrange

More about : numbers

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2012 7:32:06 PM

Run it for hours.. When you play a game you play it for much longer than 10 minutes correct? Try running prime for as long as you can but IMO 4-5 hours is more than enough.
December 5, 2012 8:47:09 PM

At the moment it's running at 4.5 even when idle, what settings do I need to enable/disable in order to get it to drop its multiplier and voltage when idle? :) 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2012 8:48:57 PM

SublimeOrange said:
At the moment it's running at 4.5 even when idle, what settings do I need to enable/disable in order to get it to drop its multiplier and voltage when idle? :) 

Speedstep aka EIST

edit: forgot to mention, it can cause instability if you don't have a motherboard equipped with quality PWM
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2012 8:58:04 PM

Might want to indicate room (ambient) Temperatures. This is winter time and room temps can be 5 to 10 F cooler than Mid summer. I'm Quessing but your summar time temps will be about 5 C higher than Winter time temps

Is that the max that one of the 4 cores hit, or is it the single "average" temp. If Not the Core temp recommend you monitor the individual core temps - These four reading are more important.
If that is the Max core temp then Temperature looks real goog, Might see a 5C rise if you run it for total of 30 min which is still OK.

@ EliTheHopeful - If running Prime 95 for verifing system stability, 4 -> 8 Hours is recommended. HOWEVER to verify effectiveness of HSF you will find that temperatures will climb very quickly in first 5 to 10 miutes, then rise starts tappering off and reaching a Plateau at around 20->30 Minutes.
Prime95 will heat the CPU up MUCH more than games.
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2012 9:01:29 PM

Prime is garbage of a stress test nowadays, use Intel Burn Test (or any other linpack based stress test)
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2012 9:21:49 PM

^ Far from garbage, when it come to testing a HSF effectiveness. Was the most commonly used program for HSF reviews.

Now I will agree that for verifing CPU/Memory stability You are correct that it is much Better (still far from Garbage)
To support your statement
Benefits of using Linpack:
1. More accurate than Prime95 Small FFTs/Blend (under x64 OS).
2. Takes less time to tell if your CPU/RAM is unstable than Prime95 (usually
something like 8 minutes Linpack vs 40 hours under Prime95).
3. Use the same stress-testing engine that Intel uses to test their products
before they are packed and put on shelves for sale.

Benefits of using IntelBurnTest:
1. Simplifies usage of Linpack.
2. Real-time output of results to the screen.
3. Simplifies the process of selecting a test size to use.
4. Better appearance.
5. Intuitive interface.
6. Real-time error checking.
7. System status acknowledgement.

!