NVIDIA GF100 pre-release speculation (GTX 480 + 470)

Hi guys,
I been hearing a lot of rumors that the new nvidia card need to have power connector 8 pin + 6 pin. Problem is my power supply is 500W .. IT ONLY have two 6-pins, but no 8 pin. I HEARD rumor also that it the new cards can also support two 6-pins power connector which would be awesome saving me money to buy a new power supply.

What you guys think.. two 6-pins hopefully should support the new nvidia card coming out soon..?
8 answers Last reply
More about nvidia gf100 release speculation
  1. well, we don't know what the power consumption of the GTX4xx cards are going to be, it may be possible that your 500w can't cut it

though if you have a good quality (antec, corsair, PC P&C, OCZ, Enermax...), then more than likely you should be fine
  2. I have 500w from Antec :) .. I just hoping that the new card would support 2 6pins power.. Just posting this up to see people view.. Thanks
  3. Also, if they require an 8-pin PCI-E connector, i'm sure Nvidia will package in an 8-pin adapter...
  4. oh *** I didn't know that.. you mean my power supply currently don't have 8 pin ..would be able to use Nvidia 8-pin adapter onto one of the spare 6 pin connector????
  5. alricking113 said:
    oh *** I didn't know that.. you mean my power supply currently don't have 8 pin ..would be able to use Nvidia 8-pin adapter onto one of the spare 6 pin connector????

possibly, it will either be an 8-pin connector that will require 2 x 4-pin molex connectors, or a connector that needs the 6-pin...
  6. IF you are not afraid of modding things you can make an 8-pin out of a 6-pin fairly easily (the 2 added wires are merely grounding wires. - See HERE for tutorial
  7. But isn't there an 8-pin adapter that I can adapt onto my spare 6-pin to use it as 8-pin..? They do even sell such thing at fry's electronic that I can pick up just in case the new nvidia card require an 8-pin power connector??
  8. Yes they have them pre made if you want to buy one instead - ( Linkie ) - just alot cheaper to make one if you have spare parts sitting around !
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Gtx Power Supplies Support Power Graphics