Sign in with
Your question

New System Build. A Change of mind on hard drive set up

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2010 5:09:05 AM

So I initially configured a system with a TB hard drive, but after thinking about it I realized I dont need a TB hard drive because I will have a NAs set up soon, or just turn another machine of mine into a dedicated file server. the latter more likely. So my question is what would be the benefit if I go with a 40gb SSD Hard drive for my OS (64 bit windows 7), and 250 GB hard drive for games ect.. I am not one to to put alot of crap on my HD. Like I said all my media will be on my file servers, and games I delete as soon as I stop playing them for any brief period of time. I keep my system clean. Just a few office DOCS. I am using the pc mainly for gaming, web browsing, and office apps. Very basic Multi media stuff. Well any advice would be helpful. Read some interesting stuff on this set up. not sure what to do at the moment.
February 22, 2010 8:22:24 AM

Why not the Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2/64GB ? It supports TRIM, cost only about $16 more than the Intel's 40GB SSD and gives you about 24GB more...
I think it would suffice for your usage...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So WIN 7 - ~15GB
Main apps - ~2-4GB
Keeping ~20% of SSD disk space free inorder for the SSD to operate more efficiently
Total - ~ <30GB

So you would have about ~30GB of free space for games/ data...But its your call though...
m
l
February 22, 2010 9:25:17 AM

If you do not keep too much on the boot drive then 40GB might be enough.

My 50GB C: Drive:

Windows 7 Pro 64 full install
Printer drivers
USB HD drivers
CrossFireX 4870 drivers
Wacom Intuos4 tablet drivers
Webcam drivers
Microphone drivers
MP3 player drivers
PS3 controller drivers
DSLR drivers
Nikon software
iTunes
Quicktime
CCCP codecs
Google Chrome
Firefox
Mozilla
Avira Antivir Antivirus
Comodo firewall
CCLeaner
Cakewalk Sonar
Adobe CS4 Master Suite
OpenOffice
Ventrillo
TVersity
Manga Studio
Dirt2 Demo
BattleForge
7-Zip
CDBurnerXP

and I still have 7GB free.
m
l
Related resources
February 22, 2010 11:37:38 AM

Thanks for the response. Ya I don't keep much on my boot drive. It would probably just be the os and a few drivers. I wont have a printer atttached to the machine so need for drivers. if i were to go with a 40 gb ssd for my OS I could just place most everything else, i.e games, and some office files on my 250 gb hard drive that would be in the machine correct? Any media files I place on my dedicared file server. Performace wise I am wondering if the set up would make sense and be worth it or if I should jsut use one 500gb hard drive?
m
l
February 23, 2010 1:56:02 AM

If you already have a 250GB HDD and just need need a boot drive, then that Intel 40GB is a very good option...
But if you will be buying a 250GB drive along with the SSD, then buying the 500GB is better as the price difference is very little and you would get a faster and bigger drive...
m
l
February 23, 2010 2:47:38 AM

Ah ok. Makes sense. I will go with a 500 GB. I just really dont think I need a TB
m
l
!