Sign in with
Your question
Closed

SD Card corrupt and not recognized by computer

Last response: in Storage
March 3, 2012 8:43:06 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate some help with an issue I've been having with my SD card.

I was on holiday using my (relatively new) Nikon D3000 with a Kingston 4GB which had over one hundred holiday photos on there. When taking a photo one day all of a sudden the SD card came up as corrupt and was completely inaccessible from my camera.

When I came home to plug into my card reader, my computer does not recognize my SD card at all. The card reader works fine as other SD cards work.

I'm at a complete loss here! This was a once in a life time trip and I can't even find the SD card on my computer to try and recover any files! Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this?

Thanks very much for your help!
Related resources
March 3, 2012 11:26:53 AM

Just as an addition.

I hoped to be able to use recovery software but given that my computer doesn't recognise my SD card, do you think this points to physical damage internally?
a c 261 G Storage
March 3, 2012 11:28:16 AM

Basically there is nothing you can do with a flash card if not recognized by devices! Depending on the value of the photos you can try a professional data recovery service, usually expensive but that is about it.
September 24, 2012 2:02:14 PM

miniavventura said:
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate some help with an issue I've been having with my SD card.

I was on holiday using my (relatively new) Nikon D3000 with a Kingston 4GB which had over one hundred holiday photos on there. When taking a photo one day all of a sudden the SD card came up as corrupt and was completely inaccessible from my camera.

When I came home to plug into my card reader, my computer does not recognize my SD card at all. The card reader works fine as other SD cards work.

I'm at a complete loss here! This was a once in a life time trip and I can't even find the SD card on my computer to try and recover any files! Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this?

Thanks very much for your help!

hello,

we have the same problem,

do you resolve/recover your photo from your damage SD memory card.

hope you read and respond if you recover your photos.

thanks.
December 6, 2012 9:19:12 AM

Any physical damage to the SD Card would cause the files/data, including the photos in sd card get losts without giving you any warning or notice.
But if you said the sd card corrupted and files or photos in sd card is missing,
you may read this, I hope it would helps as it is kind of tool to recover photo from sd card.

http://www.****/disk-utility/sd-card-recovery.html
December 6, 2012 12:05:08 PM

hey hi buddy I'm not promises you that you can get you data back with this trick but their is possible of getting you're memory card to use for new trip
first go to Kingston site and get you're self register and you're card
and then check for firmware recovery
it will recover you're firmware to it's original state
(As i have personally tried with trancend)
and once you get you're card detected then you can try with recovery software i recommend "get data back"
i hope this will help you and get you're memories back to you
December 26, 2012 11:52:08 AM

I had a similar problem with our Nikon D7000 wherein the Scan Disk 32GB showed a Card Err on the camera and my laptop did not recognize the card in the camera.
I simply inserted the card into a MacBook and opened the disk in the computer. All of the photos were there and I copied them to the desktop. Fro there I saved them in iPhoto and onto a backup disk.
January 11, 2013 5:25:05 PM

miniavventura,

Same thing just happened to me on our family vacation. I got a free 16 GB card with my camera...unbeknownst to me it was a cheap card that apparently corrupts all the time. The card showed I had 500 pics left to take, I take it out and it shows error. I thought since we were in Colorado it was just too cold. I take it back to the lodge and I get nothing. I take my SD card out and try to put the pics on the computer, but the THREE computers I tried didn't even recognize the card. I couldn't use recovery software bc even with the camera hooked up to the computer the harddrive would not recognize a thing. I had family from NZ and ST Louis and KC and OKC and we had no idea when we would all be together again...I couldn't bear the thought of losing all my pictures (about 2,500). I did some research online, and I found a place called Recoverfab. He's a german guy that specializes in this sort of thing. As long as the card itself isn't damaged, he can pull off the code and decrypt it and put it back in to pictures. His turn around time was faster than he said, and he recovered ALL of my pics. Couldn't be more pleased or happy. I highly recommend him. And if you search, he is highly recommended by many others. recoverfab.com
March 3, 2013 11:37:10 PM

i must have downloaded every single file recovery software out there today and followed every online tutorial i could find. i literally spent 8 hours at the task but right before i was about to give up i found this youtube tutorial that helped me recover thousands of files off of my sd card. i hope i can save someone the trouble and hastle i went through. it was absolutely free and took 5 minutes for the steps and roughly an hour to recover my files [simply because i literally had thousands 29,028 to be specific. i hope it works for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQLAEJPzWwU

best of luck :hello: 
June 23, 2013 8:06:21 PM

Same thing happened to me, I was taking pictures with my nikon camera and duracell sd card and then the screen said "no pictures" i tried in the computer but didnt work. lost all the pictures of my trip,, i couldnt format the sd card either i literally tried like 30 different softwares to recover my pictures none of them work, i think those are more for accidentally deleted pictures but not for currupted cards even though they claim so... tired of trying with softwares i sent my sd card to "professionals" dataretrieval.com they told me it was possible to recover my pictures and it would cost me $980.00 dollars i told them with that money i could go on a trip again... after a couple of days later they called me and said that they could do it for 600.00 i said i wouldnt pay more than 200 and then they say they'll do it for 400 i said no again and went to get my sd card back im still trying to get my pictures back, but what im saying here is if youre going to go with "professionals" dont let them charge you a 1000 dollars for your pictures theyre terrible and most of them just take advantage of peopleĀ“s desperation... to those who recomended recoverfap.com i wonder why they dont say how much they paid.... oh and one last thing when i lost my pictures i was on the snow! so maybe the weather has something to do with my sd card malfunction
June 29, 2013 9:52:02 AM

Hi
I too have encountered problems trying to read-off data from a damaged SD card (holiday video's) and after much agro and searching came across a company called Recoverfab, located in Germany. Their site provides clear and concise info about the service they offer, enough to give me confidence to go ahead. Within minutes of completing the Enquiry form, I received an e-mail response and, after posting my damaged SD card to them, was amazed to receive their e-mail within a couple of days notifying me of receipt. The following day I received another e-mail notifying me that my data could be viewed and the total cost of service. Although it's not exactly cheap, compared to the price of an SD card, for those who place great value on their 'lost' data or their works of art (photo's/videos), it's unquestionably an invaluable service. From now on I shall make sure I FIRST copy the cards content to my PC, before plugging it into the TV for a quick viewing!
July 6, 2013 12:37:25 PM

RogerCul said:
Hi
I too have encountered problems trying to read-off data from a damaged SD card (holiday video's) and after much agro and searching came across a company called Recoverfab, located in Germany. Their site provides clear and concise info about the service they offer, enough to give me confidence to go ahead. Within minutes of completing the Enquiry form, I received an e-mail response and, after posting my damaged SD card to them, was amazed to receive their e-mail within a couple of days notifying me of receipt. The following day I received another e-mail notifying me that my data could be viewed and the total cost of service. Although it's not exactly cheap, compared to the price of an SD card, for those who place great value on their 'lost' data or their works of art (photo's/videos), it's unquestionably an invaluable service. From now on I shall make sure I FIRST copy the cards content to my PC, before plugging it into the TV for a quick viewing!

July 6, 2013 12:50:37 PM

I also have recently had the horrible experience of getting the "CF card cannot be read...." message on my Canon T1i viewscreen. Of course, these are priceless family vacation photos, and not practice photos for my photography class.... Anyway, after several hours of frustration and angst trying the online fixes, I found the Recoverfab site and sent off my SD card. The site management is very responsive and the process has been very quick. Although all my data cannot be recovered, much of it is and I am so very thankful to Leopold at Recoverfab. :-) If you are having trouble getting your SD card to be read by your camera/computer/any computer, you can save yourself a lot of heartache by contacting Recoverfab.com. Now, I just need to figure out what brand of SD card to get ..... I won't get the same one again.
!