Sign in with
Your question

OCing AMD Phenom II x6 1055T

Last response: in Overclocking
December 5, 2012 8:57:39 PM

I achieved a medium overclock of 3500 MHZ (3.5 GHZ) on my Amd Phenom II x6 1055T by doing the following:
Changing the Front Side Bus (Cpu Frequency on my board, M4A87TD/USB3) to "250"
Specifying the ram divider that allows for my ram to run at 1333 MHZ (could do 1600 with 240 FSB, but...)
Leaving Hypertransport Link speed at "Auto," shows around 2000 MHZ on cpu-z (2006.75 MHZ, board leaves speed near stock)
CPU/NB speed at "Auto," (I could have left it at 2500 MHZ for increased speed and less latency, but that is the question--whether my board can handle it)
Voltage at Offset, Automatic (Didn't change this)
Everything else, except disabling Turbo Core and C1E, was left alone.

My question is: Should I enable C1E? What exactly is its purpose (I know it's for power saving...)
Will my board (Asustek M4A87TD/USB3 be fine with this overclock? What about 4 ghz? Will it throttle down due to too much load on the VRMs (125 watt CPU)?

If I do get an aftermarket cooler (Prime95 test: 50C on all cores, cpu socket temperature at 55-60C, this is with 100% load, nothing I do will push it this far, also, with high performance power option mode enabled, forget to disable), can I oc to 4 ghz and not worry about my board VRMs or any similar issue? (I would get a Cooler Master Hyper 212+).

Thanks.

More about : ocing amd phenom 1055t

a c 174 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2012 9:00:27 PM

I'd get a aftermarket cpu cooler, a zalman 9900cnps b max keeps my oc'd 1055t at 3.2Ghz nice and cool at idle no cool n quiet around 18c and 30 under load. I think everyone on this site will say if ur going to OC use a aftermarket cpu cooler. Stock isnt great and barely cools my bro in laws 8150 at stock speed under load.

Many also recommend disabling turbo core as the turbo boost goes up with the oc ratio and can cause an instability.

No clue on reaching 4.0ghz as a non black edition x6 but its possible. Not sure on the motherboard either I dont go farther as my motherboard is known for vrm failure and fires lol A motherboard should have a 6+2 power phase or better as from what i heard if ur must raise ur voltages
m
l
December 5, 2012 9:05:37 PM

lazyboy947 said:
I'd get a aftermarket cpu cooler, a zalman 9900cnps b max keeps my oc'd 1055t at 3.2Ghz nice and cool at idle around 18c

I probably will.
And, should I rely upon the core temperature or socket temperature (sensor under cpu socket) for my temperatures?
By this, I mean did AMD measure their 62C temperature cap with the core temperature or the latter?
m
l
Related resources
a c 174 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 3:01:47 AM

i prefer using the cpu core temps as ull get in ur case 6 individual readings instead one, so it'll help if the socket sensor is faulty in its readings for some programs, and it may differ from ur core temps.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 5:50:33 PM

lazyboy947 said:
i prefer using the cpu core temps as ull get in ur case 6 individual readings instead one, so it'll help if the socket sensor is faulty in its readings for some programs, and it may differ from ur core temps.

Incorrect, The Core temp is estimated on the Phenom line and the FX line. They are not real temps. Both HWMonitor and HWiNFO64 say my core temps are 24c (75f) My room temp right now is 85F, My CPU temp is 37c (98f). There is no way that the CPU is under room temp, there can't be. My CPU is OC to 4.1ghz, no CnQ, no C1E, nothing. This is idle at 4.1ghz at 1.5vcore on a Phenom II x6 1100T. This was on a ASRock 970 Extreme3 and is currently on a ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty Pro. The same happens on my old Phenom II x4 940 at 3.8ghz, a ASRock A770DE+ and on a DFI LP 790FX Dark M2RS (Both DDR2 Platforms). This also happens with a friend who has a heavy Overclocked FX-6200 6 core on an ASUS 990FX Sabertooth mobo. His core idles at 17c while his CPU is at something like 40c.

Point is you can not go by core temps on AMD, Intel yes, AMD no. CPU Temp is the way to go on AMD, AMD has stated that 62c is its max temp for the CPU, not the core. Chances are you will hit 49c on the core and be at 65c on the CPU.

Ok back on track, The 1055T at 3.5ghz isn't bad, I would look at your current voltage when the CPU is at load and set it in the bios, take the auto stuff off. You shouldn't need more then 1.45v for 3.5ghz. Now if you raise it higher and are unstable, you may need to raise the NB (Not CPU-NB) Voltage a tad.

C1E does in fact save power, but the power wont stay in 1 spot not only the CPU but chipset, it will fluctuate a lot and cause problems after you OC so much. More then likely you will see BSOD's during idle with it enabled.

"C1E is a power management state that allows the processor to reduce power beyond just the cores. With C1E, the processor power can be reduced by lowering the memory controller clock speed and halting the HyperTransport™ technology links. This new feature was extremely important for our 12-core processors with the increase in memory channel support as well as the increase in HyperTransport™ technology links within the design."

Also with that board, I would not OC to high, You could possibly screw up the Mosfits on the board with no cooling there, If you plan to OC on that board more, I would get some after market Vram heatsinks and put then on there to be safe. Also the stock cooler is alright if the temps are alright, If the temps are getting pushed to near 62c, get an aftermarket cooler if you like to OC it some more.
m
l
December 7, 2012 2:33:16 AM

Viking2121 said:
Incorrect, The Core temp is estimated on the Phenom line and the FX line. They are not real temps. Both HWMonitor and HWiNFO64 say my core temps are 24c (75f) My room temp right now is 85F, My CPU temp is 37c (98f). There is no way that the CPU is under room temp, there can't be. My CPU is OC to 4.1ghz, no CnQ, no C1E, nothing. This is idle at 4.1ghz at 1.5vcore on a Phenom II x6 1100T. This was on a ASRock 970 Extreme3 and is currently on a ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty Pro. The same happens on my old Phenom II x4 940 at 3.8ghz, a ASRock A770DE+ and on a DFI LP 790FX Dark M2RS (Both DDR2 Platforms). This also happens with a friend who has a heavy Overclocked FX-6200 6 core on an ASUS 990FX Sabertooth mobo. His core idles at 17c while his CPU is at something like 40c.

Point is you can not go by core temps on AMD, Intel yes, AMD no. CPU Temp is the way to go on AMD, AMD has stated that 62c is its max temp for the CPU, not the core. Chances are you will hit 49c on the core and be at 65c on the CPU.

Ok back on track, The 1055T at 3.5ghz isn't bad, I would look at your current voltage when the CPU is at load and set it in the bios, take the auto stuff off. You shouldn't need more then 1.45v for 3.5ghz. Now if you raise it higher and are unstable, you may need to raise the NB (Not CPU-NB) Voltage a tad.

C1E does in fact save power, but the power wont stay in 1 spot not only the CPU but chipset, it will fluctuate a lot and cause problems after you OC so much. More then likely you will see BSOD's during idle with it enabled.

"C1E is a power management state that allows the processor to reduce power beyond just the cores. With C1E, the processor power can be reduced by lowering the memory controller clock speed and halting the HyperTransport™ technology links. This new feature was extremely important for our 12-core processors with the increase in memory channel support as well as the increase in HyperTransport™ technology links within the design."

Also with that board, I would not OC to high, You could possibly screw up the Mosfits on the board with no cooling there, If you plan to OC on that board more, I would get some after market Vram heatsinks and put then on there to be safe. Also the stock cooler is alright if the temps are alright, If the temps are getting pushed to near 62c, get an aftermarket cooler if you like to OC it some more.

I probably won't oc any higher, it'd be too risky for my standards--vrms ned to be cooled, not having too much overclocking knowledge.
I've always been confused as to how I should set the voltage.
So, the motherboard bios settings for voltages (all of them) are set in I guess...a paragraph form. Like this:
And so forth. The 1. with no margin applies to all voltages in that column. In relation to cpu voltage, that voltage setting (no margin) is set to offset, with the other option of manual. I'd prefer offset, knowing how it works. The 1. with a margin is the cpu vcore. This has a greyed out number right before saying "Auto." I knew it wasn't too good to set it on auto, but I looked at the vcore in Hw Monitor, and the highest it went was 1.4 for 3.5 GHZ. Usually 1.38. While playing Counter Strike: Global Offensive, the temperature never reached above 45C (not 100% load, but...).
The prime95 test wasn't final, as I put the High Performance power option mode on before testing, for some reason. Was probably on from some testing before I overclocked.
So that brings me back to the voltage: how do I set it? The greyed out column at the moment says 1.260 voltage, although it is greyed out and next to it, it says Auto. It may not be in use. I cannot be sure.

Thanks.

EDIT: Is a 3.5 GHZ overclock considered a low or medium overclock? I'm worried about the vrms. Board is 30C at all times, if it matters. I will touch the vrms tomorrow to see if they are hot.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 7, 2012 10:50:33 PM

Mid OC, High OC to me is 4ghz or more. 1055t stock is 2.9 and is locked, so 3.5 is good OC for that and is tricky to get there.

Just keep the volts below 1.45v on that board, I wouldn't go to much higher. But settings the volts to auto sometimes allows the board to adjust the voltage on its own, Other board its its stock 1.35v and no higher or lower. So it depends on the board, I couldn't tell ya on that board.
m
l
!