Fears about CPU, seeking guidance

brightfutureahead

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Okay, first of all, thanks to everyone here, you have all been a MASSIVE help over the last two years, and I truly appreciate that. Now, on to the question.

These fears may be unfounded, but here it goes. I recently built a new system, and received the blue screen yesterday when setting everything up. I logged back in, set up the Intel X58 drivers for the Asus motherboard that I hadn't done yet (offline, not from the CD), and felt comfortable. I powered it off, went to bed, came home today, and started looking around to check other reasons it my go to the blue screen. One reason stated that if the CPU hits about 50C, then it may do that. So I used Speedfan to check the temps (no, I have not checked the Fan RPMs yet, I know, that was dumb), and noticed it was at about 38C, and slowly climbed as it bounced between 38C and 40C, then to 42C, and finally 43C before I turned it off. My question is as follows. My current system, the older one, has an i7 920, no OCd, that runs at 28C while idle, and about 35-40C under load, sometimes a bit higher, with no issues. The new system has an i7 960. Is 43C and moving up to high for that CPU?

I am fearful because I use my system for Maya, Max, photoshop, and lately (as I learn, but not to often) compiling code, as well as gaming, and I know those things will shoot the temp up. Should I be worried at all? I ran the PC today, nowhere near as long as yesterday, and at one point everything in the taskbar and on screen froze except the mouse. Ctrl-alt-del did not work, and I had to reset, but that was the only issue. If it is too high, any pointers on what steps to take from here, since I am new to this problem?

System:
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Intel Core i7 960
ATI Radeon 5870
6gs corsair XMS3 ram
WD 300g 10000 rpm velociraptor
Antec 900 Case
Cooler Master V8

Running Windows 7 64bit

If you installed the heatsink correctly, you can relax. Temps vary by boards and bios settings. I don't trust temps below 40c for my climate in south texas. Cpus run fine up to 70c; I had my amd cpu at the max the other day when the fan broke; I didn't worry as my bios shutdown the system at 70c until I could buy another cpu fan.

brightfutureahead

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Hmm, well, that's the thought I was calming myself down with. However, would it make sense that it keeps rising? As well as showing the cores rising and reaching 50C? I built a PC for a family member who lives in the same house, also with an i7 920, and it runs at the same temps (about 28C idle) as my "old" build. Just for the heck of adding the info, I live in Southern California, in Los Alamitos.

Low 70's is no cause for concern ... think your house thermostat and 72 is OK :) only your house is F and your CPU is C.

I am fearful because I use my system for Maya, Max, photoshop, and lately (as I learn, but not to often) compiling code, as well as gaming, and I know those things will shoot the temp up.

A 5870 is generally not the best choice for those uses .... CS5 has CUDA specific features and rendering has not historically been an ATI gaming card strong point.

brightfutureahead

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009

Hmmm, mistake made, lesson learned? Haha, ooohhh man now I feel like an idiot! (about the vid card)