Sign in with
Your question

Completely random reboot

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2010 5:56:13 AM

I'm running a newly upgraded homebuilt, with a brand-new hard drive and a copy of windows 7 ultimate.

Anyway, it's been about 4 days now and I have had no problems with it. turn it on when I get up, turn it off when I go to bed, its on about 14 hours a day or so.

So today, it rebooted randomly. And I mean completely randomly. I was just surfing the web, when the screen flashed, and it went through its usual boot up process. It can't be a power issue, because earlier the same day I had spent 4 hours or so on it playing Shattered Horizons, a very taxing game on the hardware.

Should I be worried about this? If it doesn't happen again do you think I should forget about it? Windows event log has nothing recorded, just "Unexpected shutdown" and that's it. The only thing I could find was in the process log it stated that "The Computer Browsing Service has entered the stopped state" around when the computer had shut down.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Specs:
Crossfire Sapphire Radeon 4870 512 mb
Western Digital Caviar Black 640 gig
AMD Phenom II X4 920 Processor (2.8 ghz)
8 gig OCZ Gold DDR2@800mhz RAM
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P Motherboard
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

More about : completely random reboot

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2010 2:15:59 PM

What's your PSU? We need the brand and model.

Hae you run any tests? Go to the "Read before posting about boot problems" sticky (link in my signature). Go through EVERY step. Do NOT SKIP anything. After doing ALL of the steps, note any changes and come back and continue with the following.

Run a virus scanner.

Download Prime95 and RealTemp (links in Step 10 of the "Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC" sticky). Run them together for at least an hour. Come back with the temps. I doubt the CPU is running hot, but it's a good thing to check anyway.

Next, download MemTest86+ (ISO file) from memtest.org. Burn the ISO file to a CD. After this, go to the RAM manufacturer's website and look up the voltage and timings for the exact model of RAM. Write them down. Then, reboot the computer and enter BIOS. Check the RAM settings and make sure they're set to the manufacturer's specs. Then set the PC to boot from the optical drive. Let this run overnight, or at least through 7-10 passes. If there is an error, you have bad RAM. If there isn't an error, we've got to do some more troubleshooting.
m
l
February 22, 2010 3:48:01 PM

MadAdmiral said:
What's your PSU? We need the brand and model.

Hae you run any tests? Go to the "Read before posting about boot problems" sticky (link in my signature). Go through EVERY step. Do NOT SKIP anything. After doing ALL of the steps, note any changes and come back and continue with the following.

Run a virus scanner.

Download Prime95 and RealTemp (links in Step 10 of the "Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC" sticky). Run them together for at least an hour. Come back with the temps. I doubt the CPU is running hot, but it's a good thing to check anyway.

Next, download MemTest86+ (ISO file) from memtest.org. Burn the ISO file to a CD. After this, go to the RAM manufacturer's website and look up the voltage and timings for the exact model of RAM. Write them down. Then, reboot the computer and enter BIOS. Check the RAM settings and make sure they're set to the manufacturer's specs. Then set the PC to boot from the optical drive. Let this run overnight, or at least through 7-10 passes. If there is an error, you have bad RAM. If there isn't an error, we've got to do some more troubleshooting.

Oh yeah sorry, I my PSU is an 850 watt Corsair, TX series. Also, no viruses at all, ran seperate scanner with both AVG Internet Security Suite, as well as NOD32 Home Antivirus...

I took the initiative and ran all the tests. CPU was steady at 50 degrees all night, and I tested the RAM on a separate computer. It all passed just fine. Timing is set to 5-5-5-15, and they have been set at this for over a year now. I am completely stumped, but it seems that some other people have had trouble with Windows 7 rebooting randomly as well. May have to look into that...

Thanks for the response.
m
l
Related resources
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2010 3:56:00 PM

If it's only happened once, it shouldn't be too big of a problem. If it happens repeatedly, then it's an issue.

Just testing the RAM in another computer is not the same as using MemTest. A lot of sticks can pass BIOS and be somewhat useful once in the OS, but still fail under pressure and not pass MemTest86+.
m
l
February 22, 2010 5:31:25 PM

MadAdmiral said:
If it's only happened once, it shouldn't be too big of a problem. If it happens repeatedly, then it's an issue.

Just testing the RAM in another computer is not the same as using MemTest. A lot of sticks can pass BIOS and be somewhat useful once in the OS, but still fail under pressure and not pass MemTest86+.

I'll do the memtest later today. Thanks for the help. Ironically, this little issue led to me optimizing my PC... ran hard drive defrag, optimized program priorities, just generally cleaned up...

Hopefully this was a one time thing that I won't have to worry about again.

Thanks for the help.
m
l
!