*Help* PC won't power on, CPU fan spins for a second

G

Hey all,

I could use some help with my PC. I was getting crashes on Windows 7 and I wasn't sure what was causing it because the minidumps weren't getting generated, so I guessed that it was my wireless adapter and purchased a new one.

I powered the PC off, installed it, then tried to power it back on. The power light came on and the CPU fan spun for a second and then the power light went off and the fan stopped spinning. If I immediately try to turn it off and back on again, nothing happens. If I wait a few minutes then try again, the light and CPU fan come on for a second again, almost as if it needs time to store up the power to do that small action. There is a small green LED light on my mobo that is lit up so I know that at least some power is getting to my mobo, which is an Asus P5K Deluxe.

Based on the power not coming on, I'm guessing it's my power supply but I'm skeptical because the system is only maybe 2 years old and the power supply is an Antec 400W, and Antecs are supposed to be pretty reliable. Although I put together this system myself, I'm not particularly good with hardware so wouldn't know how to test the power supply even if I did have a multimeter (which I don't.) I heard there are other devices designed specifically for testing power supplies but it seems that I'd have to purchase it online, which would take too long since I'm down and out my main PC that I use for work.

Based on the symptoms, especially the fact that the mobo LED is on and the CPU fan spins for a second if I let the power "charge up" for a few minutes, can anyone add their best guesses as to what this could be?

Thanks!
Justin

Try to power ON with the minimum components.. i.e. disconnect the optical drive(s), video card etc and try booting it ON (obviously don't disconnect the hard disk, the 20 (or 24) pin connector and the CPU power connector).. The phenomenon you are noticing could be due to faulty connection also..

G

Thanks for the reply. I tried what you suggested and the behavior was the same, the power light and cpu fan came on for a split second and then turned off.