Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should I overclock?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 5, 2012 11:42:41 PM

One of many posts on the new computer i'm building. :p 

So i was planning on getting the gigabyte windforce 3x GTX 670, and i wasn't sure if i should overclock it. Also, i'm getting the intel i5-3570k processor, and i don't know if i need to overclock it or not. If you have any advice on if/how far i should overclock them, it would be really helpful, and i should be able to accomadate any cooling problems associated with it.

More about : overclock

a c 130 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 1:11:38 AM

To be honest its MOSTLY not NECESSARY to OC a 3570K but it does improve SOME games and apps by doing so.

What resolution do you game at and what games do you play? This will give me an idea if a GPU OC is necessary or not.
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2012 4:17:26 AM

Novuake said:
To be honest its MOSTLY not NECESSARY to OC a 3570K but it does improve SOME games and apps by doing so.

What resolution do you game at and what games do you play? This will give me an idea if a GPU OC is necessary or not.

I would be playing games like starcraft 2, ArmA 2+3, and battlefield 3 at 1680x1050.

And bigcyco, i read the master guide already, which is what made me post on the forum, but i lost the link, so thanks. :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 10:13:53 AM

If you don't plan on overclocking the CPU then you should get something other than the 3570K. If you do overclock, make sure you get an aftermarket cooler.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 12:36:28 PM

If you are willing to drop $350+ on a 670, I say why not overclock your CPU? For $30-50 more then a non "K" including a aftermarket heatsink, the overclock delivers an extra punch and you get more out of your system by doing so.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 12:40:31 PM

slinger4 said:
One of many posts on the new computer i'm building. :p 

So i was planning on getting the gigabyte windforce 3x GTX 670, and i wasn't sure if i should overclock it. Also, i'm getting the intel i5-3570k processor, and i don't know if i need to overclock it or not. If you have any advice on if/how far i should overclock them, it would be really helpful, and i should be able to accomadate any cooling problems associated with it.

What's your motherboard and PSU?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 2:04:45 PM

Yes
m
l
December 6, 2012 3:04:29 PM

I'm getting the asus sabretooth z77, and a 650w corsair psu. My main concern with overclocking is the reduced life expectancy of the components, i don't want to drop 350-450$ every few years because my hardware breaks down.
m
l

Best solution

a c 190 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 4:24:06 PM

If you have to ask 'Should I?' anything, the answer at the time of posting is usually No,
get into things a little deeper and then decide if it is necessary,
Are you happy with the performance as is? (once you have it set up ofc)
are there any issues?
certain games may have a problem where others are fine, only you can decide what is, and is not acceptable at that point, then we can address the issue and if needed, then overclocking may be advised,
but see how the system suits you before trying to fry :) 
Btw done, properly and with due attention to cooling, overclocking will not shorten the lifespan of parts massively, in fact you will want to upgrade before any serious problems surface
Moto
December 6, 2012 4:43:54 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
If you have to ask 'Should I?' anything, the answer at the time of posting is usually No,
get into things a little deeper and then decide if it is necessary,
Are you happy with the performance as is? (once you have it set up ofc)
are there any issues?
certain games may have a problem where others are fine, only you can decide what is, and is not acceptable at that point, then we can address the issue and if needed, then overclocking may be advised,
but see how the system suits you before trying to fry :) 
Btw done, properly and with due attention to cooling, overclocking will not shorten the lifespan of parts massively, in fact you will want to upgrade before any serious problems surface
Moto

Thanks, you answered just about everything! One last thing, though: what would a good level to overclock to be?
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 5:37:22 PM

4GHz is a nice point to aim for with most modern chips,
some games are more dependant on Gpu power than Cpu but if the Cpu is 'underpowered' then it can hold back the best cards performance,
which is termed bottlenecking,
but a Cpu rocking at 4GHz is more than sufficient for most games at the moment,
and after a certain point an overclock becomes a negative factor, yes, there is such a thing as too high an overclock :) 
If you are going to overclock, check out the intel guides here and across the net, grab a suitable cooler and you'll be fine
**edit, I'll mention now but you will also see this in the guides, every chip clocks differently, so mileage will vary, bob may get 4.5GHz out of his 3570 but yours may not like anything more than 3.8GHz, its a natural variance thing :) 
Moto
m
l
December 6, 2012 6:01:47 PM

Great, thats all i needed to know! Thanks to everyone who replied!
m
l
December 6, 2012 6:03:41 PM

Best answer selected by slinger4.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 6:35:35 PM

No problem man, glad to help and thank you for B.a.
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 7, 2012 12:21:11 AM

I'm curious why do you want to buy a sabertooth mobo? Friends that bought it did so for overclocking. Also they have done high overclocks and want 2 years out of their cpu. Just saying.
m
l
!