I installed more ram but it shows less

curtains8

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I am working on an older computer and the manual said the motherboard could handle 2gb, so I ordered 2gb and installed them and when I tried to boot it said that there was 33mb, what do I need to do...

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

^+1 yeah that, lol.

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845gerg2/sb/CS-020058.htm

System Memory Features

The Desktop Board D845GERG2 has two DIMM sockets and support the following memory features:

* 2.5 V (only) 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts
* Unbuffered, unregistered single-sided or double-sided DIMMs
* Maximum total system memory: 2 GB; minimum total system memory: 64 MB
* DDR333/266 MHz DDR SDRAM DIMMs only
* Serial Presence Detect (SPD)

At the end, there's a notes:
2. DDR333 1 GB (1024 MB) DIMMs have not been validated with these desktop boards. <-- According to this, the safe supported memory is 2 sticks of 512 Mb at DDR-333, or 2 sticks of 1Gb at DDR-266.

What piece of RAM did you buy? One 2 GB stick? And at what speed?

@andrern2000 {we're trying to get OP to show the RAM specs - if there is a disparity in Voltage, Speed, CAS then at best the settings will be at Voltage that works for both sets, the highest CAS {slowest}, and lowest speed. If the differences are too great then it won't work e.g. Voltage.

Did you happen to read this in the description of the RAM you posted before buying it :

*IMPORTANT NOTE*High Density** (128mx4 or 128mx8 configuration) chips. (Manufacturers tested folowing chipsets to be compatible: VIA P4M800, VIA KT400, VIA KT600, VIA PT800, SIS 645, SIS648, SIS 648FX and SIS 746FX.) NOT compatible to all(any) ASUS motherboards, name brand PCs, Apples/Macs, laptops and boards with other types of chipsets. Incompatible motherboards will only recognize a fraction of its 1gb (such as 32mb, 512mb) capacity or none at all. Limited in compatibility. Not for brand name PC.

They warn you right in the listing that these are high Density Modules and that they will not work with many older chipsets -- so that is probably the reason for the problem !! - since your MOBO only supports 2 GB. total that usually means it does not support High density modules !

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

Well, curtains8 this maybe good news for you. It's written:
- **No compatibility issues**BEST VALUE!

So your motherboard is able to work with this one. Also, the principle of old Mb is all supporting low-density only. Only some of them supports high-density. The statement:
"2. DDR333 1 GB (1024 MB) DIMMs have not been validated with these desktop boards."

- I think it is meant that for high-density ones. Some memory sticks use high-density and some low-dens. So it's meant for high-dens mobo support, as not all mobos support high-dens.

Well, this mem is in the "able" to work part. :)

Well, if you're about to find a match for pairing up RAM it'd be best to get all equal settings and setting to slowest CAS for system stability, as not all memory have same memory chips. This will sometimes help booting up BIOS so that all memory is fully detected. If the settings are incorrect, probably the memory won't be detected partially or all.

Still, your list is good compatible memory. But I can also assure that this guy's stick will work compatible.

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

Here is the definition from Webopedia:
"Short for Error-Correcting-Code memory, a type of memory that includes
special circuitry for testing and accuracy of data as it passes in and
out of memory."