New ReplayTV Subscription

I have few questions:
1 If I have lifetime sub for Showstopper 2000 will I qualify for discount
subscription if I buy additional replaytv 5xxx?
2 Besides big hard drive, is there any differences between ReplayTV model
5500 Series? Should I just order low model and upgrade hard drive myself
since I think I can do it?
3 Where is the best place to get it? ReplayTV or Ebay (is it worth the
risk)
4 Should I go for ReplayTV 5040 models since it's the last model with
commercial skip or go on with newer ones.

I know some of them are my preferences but I am asking for your opion.

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about replaytv subscription

    > 1 If I have lifetime sub for Showstopper 2000 will I qualify for discount
    > subscription if I buy additional replaytv 5xxx?

    I have a Showstopper H-2000 that I had previously registered with
    ReplayTV.com. That enabled me to a discount subscription for the new
    5516 that I bought direct from ReplayTV. Your first step, if you
    haven't done so already, is to register your Shopstopper to show that
    you are currently using it.

    > 2 Besides big hard drive, is there any differences between ReplayTV model
    > 5500 Series? Should I just order low model and upgrade hard drive myself
    > since I think I can do it?

    If you're wanting a larger hard disk, then just go ahead an buy a unit
    with the larger drive. It might even be cheaper than upgrading yourself.

    > 4 Should I go for ReplayTV 5040 models since it's the last model with
    > commercial skip or go on with newer ones.

    The 50xx models with commercial skip and internet sharing are going for
    a premium. You'll end up paying $50 to $100 more for one of these used
    models than for a brand new 55xx (after the rebates and discounts).
    With that in mind, you need to decide if those features are worth the
    extra bucks. Many people say "yes", others say "no". It all depends on
    how you plan to use it.

    See answers interspersed:

    From:(Magic9)
    noone@home.com

    > I have few questions:
    > 1 If I have lifetime sub for Showstopper 2000 will I qualify for
    > discount subscription if I buy additional replaytv 5xxx?

    Yes, I believe that qualifies but I could be wrong. Details on on their
    website.

    > 2 Besides big hard drive, is there any differences between
    > ReplayTV model 5500 Series? Should I just order low model and upgrade
    > hard drive myself since I think I can do it?

    All units in a series are identicle except for hard drive size. If you
    upgrade before the warranty is up you risk losing the warranty.

    > 3 Where is the best place to get it? ReplayTV or Ebay (is it worth
    > the risk)

    As long as you're a careful ebay shopper, it's fine, particularly if you
    want a 5000 series. I've bought several that way with no problems. If
    you're looking for a 5500, it may actually be cheaper direct from RTV.

    > 4 Should I go for ReplayTV 5040 models since it's the last model
    > with commercial skip or go on with newer ones.

    IMHO, YES. The Commercial Advance feature and the ability to share
    shows, particularly through www.poopli.com, makes it WELL worth the
    effort to buy a 5000 rather than the 5500. In a multi-system setup it's
    nice to have at least one 5000 series. I have eight (+ an old 3030) and
    would only buy a 5000 series if available.
    Others, may not share my enthusiasm but you have to decide.

    > I know some of them are my preferences but I am asking for your opion.
    >
    > Thanks

    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 11:20:36 +0000 (UTC), General Kireiko
    <douglas@panix.com> wrote:

    >Zarniwoop <zarniwoop@nospam.net> wrote:
    >:> 2 Besides big hard drive, is there any differences between ReplayTV model
    >:> 5500 Series? Should I just order low model and upgrade hard drive myself
    >:> since I think I can do it?
    >
    >: If you're wanting a larger hard disk, then just go ahead an buy a unit
    >: with the larger drive. It might even be cheaper than upgrading yourself.
    >
    >I disagree. You can buy a 120 GB hard disk for $65. You can get larger
    >hard drives at great prices when you consider rebates.

    And it's something you can do at home (using your computer). You don't
    have to worry about getting your "activation" transferred.

    >If voiding the warranty is a concern, I recommend you buy a 5504 (if you plan
    >to buy the 55xx anyway - any 5040 you buy will NOT be under warranty anyway)
    >and hook it into your LAN, and use DVArchive to acheive additional storage
    >until such time that: 1- THe warranty expires, or 2- You feel the unit is
    >working flawlessly, and will not require RMA. YOu can then upgrade the unit
    >yourself.
    >
    >-Doug

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

    Here are the current prices from the ReplayTV web site (after rebates):
    http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/shop/_templates/cat_listRTV.asp?cat=52

    ReplayTV 5504 (40 GB hard disk) $39.99
    ReplayTV 5508 (80 GB hard disk) $79.99
    ReplayTV 5516 (160 GB hard disk) $127.99

    Sure, you could buy the 5504 for $40 and upgrade (including formatting)
    the hard disk yourself to 160 GB for $65 more. That comes to $105. So,
    you're saving $22 to upgrade the disk yourself. If you're comfortable
    with that, then go ahead. If not, or if you want to keep your warranty
    in tact, then buy the unit with the larger hard drive to begin with.
    It's all a personal choice.

    Whatever route you decide, I say to go for the larger hard drive.
    You'll run out of room on the 40 gig drives fairly quickly.

    On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 13:08:06 +0000 (UTC), General Kireiko
    <douglas@panix.com> wrote:

    >Zarniwoop <zarniwoop@nospam.net> wrote:
    >
    >: ReplayTV 5504 (40 GB hard disk) $39.99
    >: ReplayTV 5508 (80 GB hard disk) $79.99
    >: ReplayTV 5516 (160 GB hard disk) $127.99
    >
    >: Sure, you could buy the 5504 for $40 and upgrade (including formatting)
    >: the hard disk yourself to 160 GB for $65 more. That comes to $105. So,
    >: you're saving $22 to upgrade the disk yourself. If you're comfortable
    >: with that, then go ahead. If not, or if you want to keep your warranty
    >: in tact, then buy the unit with the larger hard drive to begin with.
    >: It's all a personal choice.
    >
    >Be careful. You shouldn't mix hard drives. If you are to make a dual-drive
    >system, you shoiuld use two IDENTICAL drives. You can't add 120 to a 40 and
    >expect it to work.

    My first Replay upgrade was of an early 2020. I soon made that a
    2-drive system. The 2 drives were of different brands and different
    sizes. It worked just as well as it did before.

    I have heard of different-brand incompatibility. It's limited to just
    a few situations.

    >Dual drive RTVs are more prone to problems them single drive ones. So why
    >take the risk?

    There would be complexity-related loss of reliability (the system has
    now become dependant on more parts).

    The same thing applies to RAID and other storage systems that combine
    multiple drives (including the 2-Terabyte array described once on "The
    Screen Savers").

    >-Doug

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 20:44:59 GMT, Peter Kelly
    <disco@no-spam.satx.rr.com> wrote:

    >General Kireiko wrote:
    >
    >> Zarniwoop <zarniwoop@nospam.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> : ReplayTV 5504 (40 GB hard disk) $39.99
    >> : ReplayTV 5508 (80 GB hard disk) $79.99
    >> : ReplayTV 5516 (160 GB hard disk) $127.99
    >>
    >> : Sure, you could buy the 5504 for $40 and upgrade (including formatting)
    >> : the hard disk yourself to 160 GB for $65 more. That comes to $105. So,
    >> : you're saving $22 to upgrade the disk yourself. If you're comfortable
    >> : with that, then go ahead. If not, or if you want to keep your warranty
    >> : in tact, then buy the unit with the larger hard drive to begin with.
    >> : It's all a personal choice.
    >>
    >> Be careful. You shouldn't mix hard drives. If you are to make a
    >> dual-drive
    >> system, you shoiuld use two IDENTICAL drives. You can't add 120 to a 40
    >> and expect it to work.
    >
    >That's not quite right.
    >I've done this exact upgrade on 2 different units. One is still running a
    >40/120 config after at least a year, with no issues. The other had the
    >drives replaced to (attempt to) correct a stuttering problem.
    >
    >One thing you CAN'T do is upgrade from a 2 drive system to a single drive
    >system, and transfer your shows.

    Although you CAN without the shows.

    General Kireiko wrote:
    > Zarniwoop <zarniwoop@nospam.net> wrote:
    > :> 2 Besides big hard drive, is there any differences between ReplayTV model
    > :> 5500 Series? Should I just order low model and upgrade hard drive myself
    > :> since I think I can do it?
    >
    > : If you're wanting a larger hard disk, then just go ahead an buy a unit
    > : with the larger drive. It might even be cheaper than upgrading yourself.
    >
    > I disagree. You can buy a 120 GB hard disk for $65. You can get larger
    > hard drives at great prices when you consider rebates.
    >
    > If voiding the warranty is a concern, I recommend you buy a 5504 (if you plan
    > to buy the 55xx anyway - any 5040 you buy will NOT be under warranty anyway)
    > and hook it into your LAN, and use DVArchive to acheive additional storage
    > until such time that: 1- THe warranty expires, or 2- You feel the unit is
    > working flawlessly, and will not require RMA. YOu can then upgrade the unit
    > yourself.
    >
    > -Doug
    3) You can carefully peel (blow dryer and toothpick) the "warranty void"
    sticker... put a larger drive in, keep the smaller. Something happens,
    you just put the original drive in, put the sticker back on and send it off.

ReplayTV Hard Drives Home Theatre