HOW TO ADD FOLDER TO NETWORK

rockart

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Hello,
PC A has network cable to router.
Router is wireless transmits to PC B. PC B has access to some folders on PC A. How to give PC A access to folders on PC B please. XP

Go to Control Panel>Network Setup Wizard and run it. Blob hte radio button that says "this comuter connects through a residential gateway" and alter "Set up file and printer sharing" pr similar. That lets the firewall know you want to transfer files to and fro. At the end, blob the last button "Don';t bother with a CD - I've already done" or whatever the precise syntax is, Apply and OK your way out. Restart for good luck.

XP allows sharing of everything in the Shared folder by default - to allow anything else, right click the folder or file and in Sharing and Security, tick to Share this folder on the Network" then give it a name to identify it if you wish.
[/#000ff]

rockart

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
This has probbly got too many steps to do it here...
Don't I have to go to PC A and say which folder(s) it will allow access too then then to PC B and tell it somehow to go and establish access to those folders.

maybe you can direct me to where there is a step by step for lots of network connections/ situations?

G

"Don't I have to go to PC A and say which folder(s) it will allow access too then then to PC B and tell it somehow to go and establish access to those folders."

Broadly, Yes. After allowing sharing on the target folders (on A) go to B and find My Network Places and Add Network Place.

I would turn off firewalls on both machines while setting up.

If possible I would connect everything by ethernet while setting up to avoid the vagaries of wireless.