Ati 5970 is this a faulty core issue

lordted

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Hello,
Hello ,

I have bought a ati 5970 and it is working fine mostly but i get sometimes a complete freeze in random games,sometimes the message " your display drivers stopped working but recovered succesfully" and last week i installed the ati dx11 demos with the lady bug and the robot and while running those two i am seeing my screen separated in two and the right side is working just fine rendering and etc but the left part is experiencing, a so to say bugged screen - some pixels are not rendered correctly or missplaced ! this has happened in the game bioshock 1 but i thought that maybe due to the dual cores the game might not be written for such sofware(exactly the same as the ati dx 11 demos) ! I thought the demos might be written for a single core cards too but I am really worried ! So is it a faulty core or just the drivers :S

G

Wait for the 59xx fix, if it still does that -> RMA assuing your running all stock without oc and with a 650W+ quality PSU. ;)

lordted

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
with the CD drivers i was experiencing the windows message ( stop working but recovered successfully) with the latest i am getting the random PC freeze ! Is there any way besides stressing the card to know if this is driver related, because stressing seems not to get the issue up always ! I am just worried that it is a faulty core because RTM will be a hell for me ! hope it is the damn drivers !

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
PROBLEM 2: Random crashes. Description: While NOT playing games, ie doing anything in 2D or when the computer would go idle or into screen powersaver mode, the crashes were almost certain. Windows graphical corruptions were also a tell-tale sign of the card being unstable and an impending crash.

My solution: Again after much reading, I came to the conclusion that Windows 64bit was not playing nice with my 5870’s powerplay function. Mainly that the idling 157 clock speed was not enough to keep the card stable when idle. After updating the card’s bios, I could go hours without a crash when playing a game, but then it would crash after I was done, when it sat idle on the desktop.

I came across this solution that forces the card to idle (2D) at a higher clock. I had to set it to a clock speed that Windows 7 would be happy with. (For me this was 400 when idle, and the stock 850 when running games)

Steps:

1. Open CCC

2. Unlock and Enable Overdrive if they aren’t already.

3. Go to Options/Profiles/Profiles Manager. Create a new profile. Under composition make sure “ATI Overdrive” is checked. Save and Close, DO NOT ACTIVATE.

4. In windows go to: C:\Users\{yourusername}\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles (you will need to have “show hidden files” turned on for this)

5. Open the xml document with the name of the profile you just created (notepad is fine)

6. Change the values of the Clock and Memory speeds to look like this (these specific values are what worked for me and my card, use judgment) EDIT ONLY THE BOLD VALUES.

Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0"

Property name="Want_0" value="40000"

Property name="Want_1" value="60000"

Property name="Want_2" value="85000"

Feature

Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0"

Property name="Want_0" value="90000"

Property name="Want_1" value="90000"

Property name="Want_2" value="120000"

7. Save and close. Go back to CCC and activate the profile you just created.

This will make the card idle at 400core, 900memory. (2D clocks are the "Want_0" values)

nyran125

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
thats why i dont rush out and buy the latest video cards when a new Direct x is out. I wait till about the 2nd or 3rd generation of new DX compatable cards. They normally have all the BS sorted out by then and i dont have to waste any money.