Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GPU block

Last response: in Overclocking
December 6, 2012 1:44:09 AM

I was thinking of buying the raystorm gpu block and was wondering how this would fit on my xfx 7850 graphics card.

graphics card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-150-...

block:
http://www.xs-pc.com/products/waterblocks/gpu-waterbloc...

More about : gpu block

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a c 78 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 4:48:50 AM

Full cover blocks:
pro's:
cools the whole board incl. the GPU and the vrm's
con's:
costs more than a universal block
can't be used on future boards(as the holes - not the GPU spacing- won't match up) nor the vrm placing...so they are alot of money for one purchase.

Universal blocks:
pro's:
they can be used on just about any grafix cards
only other investment needed is vrms/mosfet passive heatsinks to cool other parts of the GPU PCB
swappable during hardware upgrade
con's:
if placed in tightly spaced PCI-E slots, then the other parts of the GPU pcb won't get adequate cooling.
most of the times they don't look good to user - they need to have tubing runs as well.
If you're going with compression fittings on the universal block, they'll need more space if the fittings are bulky(large)
Related resources
December 6, 2012 10:58:21 AM

My case is a thermaltake chaser mk1 and the motherboard im going to get a asrocks z77 extreme edition motherboard if this helps i dont really like thos whole gpu wwaterblocks they wouldnt fir how the rest of the sytem looks
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 78 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 11:04:13 AM

honestly...? you'll only see the edge of a GPU. some people call it the lip of a GPU. Apart from that EK are the only full cover blocks for that 7850, highly discouraged as they are nickel plated and they wreak havoc on the loop/parts in a loop. DD is out of business...and there are others offering full cover blocks for your GPU. shoot up other watercooling e-tailers...found at the end of the watercooling sticky.
m
l
December 6, 2012 1:11:27 PM

Best answer selected by thefallan.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 225 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 1:43:40 PM

Lutfij said:
Full cover blocks:
pro's:
cools the whole board incl. the GPU and the vrm's
con's:
costs more than a universal block
can't be used on future boards(as the holes - not the GPU spacing- won't match up) nor the vrm placing...so they are alot of money for one purchase.

Universal blocks:
pro's:
they can be used on just about any grafix cards
only other investment needed is vrms/mosfet passive heatsinks to cool other parts of the GPU PCB
swappable during hardware upgrade
con's:
if placed in tightly spaced PCI-E slots, then the other parts of the GPU pcb won't get adequate cooling.
most of the times they don't look good to user - they need to have tubing runs as well.
If you're going with compression fittings on the universal block, they'll need more space if the fittings are bulky(large)

I'd like to add a con to your full cover blocks for future reference.

Being that they do cover the whole board, the memory chip and voltage regulation chip heat is also added to the water block heat load, which is added to the GPU water loop itself, and that heat multiplies when multiple GPUs are used.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 78 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 2:04:27 PM

^ :S woops yeah I forgot that, been spending too much time looking inside that I forgot to look outside the box

Ryan, thanks mate!
m
l
!