Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Feser Tubing

Last response: in Overclocking
December 6, 2012 4:09:19 AM

Does anybody have any experience with Feser tubing?

I'm asking this because on frozencpu.com I found the perfect color of tubing I wanted (UV Acid Green, UV Green was too bright) and it's only $0.10 per foot. I just want to know if it's cheap tubing just like it's price.

More about : feser tubing

a c 76 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 4:40:40 AM

experience? why dya ask about experience...is it because of your fear of plasticizer? If you run a distill+kill coil loop only, the loop will be fine sans for a slight hazzing.

when you're buying tubing, just make sure your ID/OD are corresponding with your compression fittings(if you have any) or your ID if you're going barbs.

Best solution

a c 324 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 2:07:57 PM

I've used Feser, Tygon and Primochill. I like them all and all are about the same. Almost all tubing will develop a haze over time and all these brands are quite flexible and of good quality. Feser and Tygon typically haven't had as many color options and are a bit more expensive while Primochill is cheaper and comes in a lot of colors.

I would say that the Primochill tubing is slightly lesser quality than Tygon and Feser, but it's very minimal. I haven't had any issues with any of the above and would likely buy whatever is cheapest and in the tubing diameter, wall thickness and color I wanted.
Related resources
December 6, 2012 2:55:33 PM

Lutfij said:
experience? why dya ask about experience...is it because of your fear of plasticizer? If you run a distill+kill coil loop only, the loop will be fine sans for a slight hazzing.

when you're buying tubing, just make sure your ID/OD are corresponding with your compression fittings(if you have any) or your ID if you're going barbs.

Fox Mulder was right. "Trust no one", and the OP is correct to question the quality of tubing. You, on the other hand who will buy anything with the proper diameters are in for a wet computer sooner or later.
a c 76 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 3:14:01 PM

my *special friend , I've been watercooling for quite a while...if you think that the plasticizer issue is something I need to go bonkers about, then think again. The x files was popular for a number of reasons. Public Paranoia/spoofs were one of them.

then again, if you trust no one and expect your radiators to teleport distilled water through your loop - please go ahead and show us how you've accomplished that.

:lol: 

btw, if you follow the prices of tubing - you'll know its fine.

*mentally incapacitated
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 3:53:53 PM

ram1009 said:
Fox Mulder was right. "Trust no one", and the OP is correct to question the quality of tubing. You, on the other hand who will buy anything with the proper diameters are in for a wet computer sooner or later.

Can you please elaborate on the differences of tubing quality being discussed and why your response is so condescending? Tubing isn't the cause of leaks, the issues lie where the tubing meets the fittings and connections with the components which comes back to user error and implementation.

Tubing itself doesn't leak unless punctured so the argument you are making is irrelevant.
December 6, 2012 5:57:44 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Can you please elaborate on the differences of tubing quality being discussed and why your response is so condescending? Tubing isn't the cause of leaks, the issues lie where the tubing meets the fittings and connections with the components which comes back to user error and implementation.

Tubing itself doesn't leak unless punctured so the argument you are making is irrelevant.

I have no idea about the relative quality of the tubings being discussed in this thread and apparently neither do you. The difference between us is that I care about the quality of any tubing I would use on any project. The compound spectrum of available tubings is too vast for us to bicker over here, however the fact that there are so many compounds should tell you that not all compounds are suitable for all applications. You are correct when you say that leaks occur where tubing meets fittings however you are incorrect to assume that leaks don't occur between fittings that may be caused by things like chafing or chemical deterioration or a tight bend radius. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Apparently you've never had a radiator or heater hose spring a leak on a car. I have, as have many others and those hose compounds are carefully chosen. If you choose to make your tubing selections based upon size alone that's fine with me. Recommending the same to others is irresponsible. IMHO, the OP is correct in seeking empirical evidence of the appropriateness of the tubing he is considering. Why in the world you would chastise him for being careful is beyond me.
December 6, 2012 6:14:31 PM

Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends.
And thank you rubix, that was the answer I was looking for
December 6, 2012 6:15:09 PM

Best answer selected by AcidElement.
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 6:24:38 PM

Quote:
I have no idea about the relative quality of the tubings being discussed in this thread and apparently neither do you

I believe you are quite incorrect. The chemical makeup of tubing is not of question here, but if you want to go that route simply to argue, so be it.

Quote:
The difference between us is that I care about the quality of any tubing I would use on any project.

So what tubing would you suggest? What do you use for your builds and why?

Quote:
You are correct when you say that leaks occur where tubing meets fittings however you are incorrect to assume that leaks don't occur between fittings that may be caused by things like chafing or chemical deterioration or a tight bend radius.

Can you tell me what watercooling chemical would cause a leak such as the one you are describing? What coolants react in what way with which brand of tubing? Tight bends do not crack or leak...I suppose if you had tubing that was many years old and UV deteriorated, it's plausible, but you wouldn't buy tubing in this condition for a new install, which is what this thread is about.

Quote:
If you choose to make your tubing selections based upon size alone that's fine with me. Recommending the same to others is irresponsible. IMHO, the OP is correct in seeking empirical evidence of the appropriateness of the tubing he is considering. Why in the world you would chastise him for being careful is beyond me.

This question about Feser tubing vs. that of any other similar sized tubing you would purchase from a vendor for the sake of watercooling. You are correct that automotive radiator hoses wear out, but that's also because they are developed with rubber/nylon compound that is more heat resistant, but less resistant to petroleum...and automotive coolants are typically glycol+petroleum based coolants, thus why heat and coolant causes wear on these hoses. Silicone based tubing used for watercooling is chemically different, you aren't running boiling water through them and there typically isn't a caustic or chemically corrosive coolant in the system.

I get that your concept of water cooling and automotive cooling are similar (I use that example all the time) but the pressures, products and coolant are very different and you can't expect the same results with different circumstances.

And for the record, no one was chastising anyone.
a c 76 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 7:55:29 PM

Quote:
but that's also because they are developed with rubber/nylon compound that is more heat resistant, but less resistant to petroleum...and automotive coolants are typically glycol+petroleum based coolants, thus why heat and coolant causes wear on these hoses.
might I add... the temps seen around a cars radiator is far extreme than a conventional PC watercooling loop, thus accelerating the wear of a rubber tubing due to its expansion and subsequent contraction.
December 6, 2012 8:33:49 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:
I have no idea about the relative quality of the tubings being discussed in this thread and apparently neither do you

I believe you are quite incorrect. The chemical makeup of tubing is not of question here, but if you want to go that route simply to argue, so be it.

Quote:
The difference between us is that I care about the quality of any tubing I would use on any project.

So what tubing would you suggest? What do you use for your builds and why?

Quote:
You are correct when you say that leaks occur where tubing meets fittings however you are incorrect to assume that leaks don't occur between fittings that may be caused by things like chafing or chemical deterioration or a tight bend radius.

Can you tell me what watercooling chemical would cause a leak such as the one you are describing? What coolants react in what way with which brand of tubing? Tight bends do not crack or leak...I suppose if you had tubing that was many years old and UV deteriorated, it's plausible, but you wouldn't buy tubing in this condition for a new install, which is what this thread is about.

Quote:
If you choose to make your tubing selections based upon size alone that's fine with me. Recommending the same to others is irresponsible. IMHO, the OP is correct in seeking empirical evidence of the appropriateness of the tubing he is considering. Why in the world you would chastise him for being careful is beyond me.

This question about Feser tubing vs. that of any other similar sized tubing you would purchase from a vendor for the sake of watercooling. You are correct that automotive radiator hoses wear out, but that's also because they are developed with rubber/nylon compound that is more heat resistant, but less resistant to petroleum...and automotive coolants are typically glycol+petroleum based coolants, thus why heat and coolant causes wear on these hoses. Silicone based tubing used for watercooling is chemically different, you aren't running boiling water through them and there typically isn't a caustic or chemically corrosive coolant in the system.

I get that your concept of water cooling and automotive cooling are similar (I use that example all the time) but the pressures, products and coolant are very different and you can't expect the same results with different circumstances.

And for the record, no one was chastising anyone.

This is my last word onthe subject. I don't use water cooling in my PCs. I don't think that's a factor in what I'm trying to get across to you. I'm a mechanical engineer and I must specify tubing on occasion along with many other commercial parts & materials. If I used the diameters of tubing as my only criteria I would soon be out of a job. If you don't know what your tubing is made of you have no idea what chemistry is going on inside your system. And, the potential breakdown doesn't have to be immediate. It could take time before deterioration is visible...that is if you look. It sounds to me like you don't even look because you don't believe it can happen. I say again that the OP asked the right question and you gave the wrong answer. Also, saying you weren't chastising him doesn't mean it didn't come out that way.
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 9:00:08 PM

Quote:
I don't use water cooling in my PCs

I think that sums it up.

I get that you know about tubing, but you don't appear to be knowledgeable in watercooling, so that doesn't automatically correlate.

Quote:
I say again that the OP asked the right question and you gave the wrong answer.

Quote:
I've used Feser, Tygon and Primochill. I like them all and all are about the same. Almost all tubing will develop a haze over time and all these brands are quite flexible and of good quality. Feser and Tygon typically haven't had as many color options and are a bit more expensive while Primochill is cheaper and comes in a lot of colors.

I would say that the Primochill tubing is slightly lesser quality than Tygon and Feser, but it's very minimal. I haven't had any issues with any of the above and would likely buy whatever is cheapest and in the tubing diameter, wall thickness and color I wanted.

My answer was in fact, not completely wrong as you would suggest. It's simply that the decisions about tubing for watercooling have nothing to do with your understanding of situations where you are recommending it in your line of work. Please tell me the exact reasons why someone should instead choose a different tubing choice rather than what I've mentioned with the specific purpose of watercooling a PC and no other reason.

Watercooling really dictates a few things that is important for tubing selection:

Flexibility and kinking in tight radius bends
Tubing wall thickness+Tubing ID/OD
Color/UV reaction
Plasticizer or film build up (tendancy)
!