Unstable overclock since windows 8 upgrade

besaidbuster

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I recently upgrade to windows 8 and every since then none of my stress test softwares runs stable (intel burn test, prime 95) nor does my overclock.

I have been running a i5 3570k at 4.5ghz with my corsair vengeance low profile ram at 1600 mhz for about 6 months completely stable on intel burn test max test, this was with windows 7 however. When upgrade to 8 no matter what i change in bios I can not get intel burn test to even run on standard, I even have new gigabyte beta bios that supports windows 8 for my GA-z77-D3H board but no luck. to top it off at random times i can get BSOD for memory mangament in ntoskernal but I have just passed a 6 pass memtest.

I wondered if anyone else had similar issues with windows 8 or if anyone could help point out why i am so unstable. I wonder at this point if I should just go back to windows 7

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Best if you try everything on "stock" and see if it's stable first... Also make sure you buy W8 because if your downloaded it from sites then it could just be the problem... Also go back to W7 if you cant find a solution and test it in there then change back...

besaidbuster

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

I am did stock test only using intel turbo on and i only manage pass intel burn test on high 1 time and I did download windows 8 online is possible to get disc sent out to me ?

besaidbuster

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I just did a stock setting test and I cant not pass above high on intel burn test which not what i woudl expect to see atl I baflled at this point XD

I don't have a problem with Windows 8 and my OC, Its actually faster and smoother then windows 7, but that will change after service packs.

I also agree with LegendKiller, And upgrade isn't the best way to go, The OS leaves stuff behind and can cause a problem for the OS your upgrading 2, There is a reason why 90% of the Computer geeks (Couldn't find a better word, lol) will tell ya to never upgrade the OS, but rater install a fresh copy of the upgraded OS, in your case Windows 8.

Also uninstall all of your drivers, Video card, sound, Ethernet, Wifi, everything, and install the drivers again with the proper Divers, not Windows Updates. Use the CD that came with your Motherboard or go the teir website and download the divers, don't allow windows to do it. Video card, go to Nvidia/ATI(AMD's) Website and download the newest drivers. See if that cures the problems.

besaidbuster

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

yeah usaully I wouldnt upgrade either but i could get for 14.99 was too tempting and when first got os I did all drivers stuff thoguht nvidia beta drivers still refuse to run well. Though after tinkering i rest some overclock settings and set each core to 4.5 rather then just multiplier suddenly i cant pass maxuim intel burn test. My only problem that only with ram at 1333 it should be 1600 corsair vegence low profile but if do 1600 on my ram i tend to get bsod and cant pass intel burn test. safe to assume my ram may be partly shagged?

chinuhark

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I have the same issue. I got 4GHz stable on Win 7. For 8, no matter how much I increase the voltage, it won't go beyond 3.8. It's also hitting 81 degrees at 3.8 GHz 1.3V (after which I stopped the test). Earlier my max temp was 77-78 C at 4GHz 1.44V . Core i5 760 BTW.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, But setting the ram to 1333mhz can help an OC if there was and issue, For me I run 16GB or Corsair Vengeance RAM 4x4gb And I have to raise my CPU-NB voltage up with 4 sticks, All though I can't tell ya how that can be done on an Intel platform since I havn't had a board to OC a Intel CPU. I also had an issue with a set of Vengeance that didn't seem stable at higher voltage or even at its stock voltage, But Strange enough the 1 set I use now it stable at 1.4v instead of 1.5v which is its stock, still has me puzzled, but it don't trow up errors in tests or anything.

But even some Operating Systems can use the CPU differently, I was able to get my Phenom II x4 940 Deneb to 4.1ghz on XP Pro, Prime stable for 9 - 10 hours. But win 7 it wont do even 3.8ghz.

Just go back to Win 7! Why bother with Win 8 when it is giving so many problems? It's not like you paid $120 for a full version. Just wait until SP 1 comes out and the drivers for your MB are more mature and MAYBE try it again then.

Yogi