Sign in with
Your question

Just installed PII X4 965, @ 2.7GHz and TERRIBLE performance

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 2:43:22 AM

Hi,

I just installed a Phenom II X4 965 BE as the title says, and after finally getting it to "work" (I'm a newb) dxdiag says 'Processor model is unknown' and then '2.7 GHz'. I tried playing an extremely low-end game (War Rock) and got around 50-80 FPS, whereas I got 130-142 (142 = cap) with my Athlon 4850e.

My temps: http://imgur.com/BPT70.png

My processor is brand new (came earlier today), and although the delivery guy left it on the porch in the rain, there "shouldn't" be anything wrong with it. How can I check (physically)?

Thanks...

p.s. I don't think the fan is spinning fast enough, if that indicates anything.
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 2:52:03 AM

The problem would be that your MOBO bios does not recognize the CPU and is therefore not setting it to the correct settings -- Do you have the latest version of BIOS for your MOBO and does your MOBO support the 965 ?? -- the 965 is supposed to run at 3.4GHZ. so running it at 2.7GHz. is way underclocked and will effect performance -- try flashing your MOBO bios if it is supported or go into the BIOS and manually set the voltage and speed for the CPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 2:53:58 AM

Yes, this screams bios. What motherboard are you using?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 3:13:07 AM

Quote:
My mobo supports the 965 AFAIK. It's GA-MA74GM-S2.

I'm going to update my BIOS to the most recent version, that isn't a beta. ( F4 from http://www.giga-byte.ca/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.... )

Two quick points.

1) There are 5 different revisions of that board. Make sure you get the right bios for your particular board.

2) NONE of the 5 versions of the board model you gave support the phenom 965. In fact, they do not support any 125 watt or greater phenoms. This may be your problem.

What bios does your board currently have installed, and do you know if the 965 is a C2 or a C3?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 3:14:20 AM

Quote:
My mobo supports the 965 AFAIK. It's GA-MA74GM-S2.

I'm going to update my BIOS to the most recent version, that isn't a beta. ( F4 from http://www.giga-byte.ca/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.... )

From the CPU support list you linked it shows the newest CPU it supports is the 925 or 940 --- so I do not think it actually supports the 965 -- but you may be able to manually set the settings and get it working properly (if you got the newer 125W TDP chip but if you have the 140W version then your MOBO does not support the correct voltage for the CPU and it may not work properly !! -- 125W TDP is the highest that it shows support for so it probably can not handle 140W)
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 3:22:58 AM

I have the 125w version, and I'm not sure what version my BIOS is right now. How can I figure out what revision to get for my particular board?

The CPU support list said 965 when I checked just a few minutes ago... http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSuppo... That's the link I read 965 from. What is the difference? Wow... I'm kind of freaking out right now
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 3:29:59 AM

I'm running version 1.0 right now and the 965 is C3.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 3:35:24 AM

Quote:
I'm running version 1.0 right now and the 965 is C3.

So its 125 watts.

What about your current bios? My thinking is your bios right now only supports C2 and earlier. If so, the bios update might fix the symptoms your seeing.

m
l
April 30, 2010 3:38:47 AM

The 965 is indeed in the list but as you check the bios version where it became supported, you would notice that it indicates "N/A" which means totally unsupported even with the latest bios update.

You may want to get a cheap new mobo for that. I suggest a GA-MA785GM-US2H.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 3:38:53 AM

If you do get it working, DO NOT OVERCLOCK. Your likely at that boards limits with that chip.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 3:46:46 AM

masterjaw said:
The 965 is indeed in the list but as you check the bios version where it became supported, you would notice that it indicates "N/A" which means totally unsupported even with the latest bios update..

Actually it isn't listed. There are multiple revisions of that board. Rev 1.0 (OP's board) doesn't even show the 965.

However, it does show a C3 X4 and I have seen chips that are officially unsupported work.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 5:29:35 AM

I updated my BIOS and it appears to be working great now. :)  I may still buy that mobo, though.. don't want to risk it
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 6:38:59 AM

Well there you go. It was the C2/C3 issue.

I think you are likely OK at stock speeds since it does list both the FX-62 (125 watts) and the Phenom 940 (also 125), if money is tight. Plus this is a gigabyte. They make good stuff.

But you can also undervolt the processor and bring the power usage down under 95 watts without too much trouble. If the processor runs stable at 1.2 volts, it will fit in a 95 watt envelope nicely. And you SHOULD able to do that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 4:40:15 PM

Good for you if you got it work. It may not be a good idea to overclock it. On the other hand if it was me I'd probably try and see how far I can get without increasing the stock voltage, but hey it's probably not a good idea :D .
m
l
!