GFX card problem with motherboard

contrast_kma

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hi guys basically i'm having a problem with my computer at the moment. I'll cut straight to the point. I have just bought a new case, after transfering my whole system from my old case to the new one my computer will not turn on (when i press the power button nothing happens) , however when i take my gfx card out of my computer the system powers up fans etc turning on. I have absolutly no idea what is wrong with the computer. It is worth noting that before i changed cases my primary hardrive failed just wouldn't work i'm not sure if this is connected or not here are the specs of my system:

motherboard: asus p5n32-e sli
case: coolermaster cosmos s
processor: Core 2 Duo E6850 – 3.00 GHz (4 MB L2, 1333 MHz FSB)
Graphics card: BFG 8800gts oc2
power supply: SILVERSTONE ST60F 600W

Any help is appreciated thanks

Have you tried EVERYTHING in the "Read before posting about boot problems" sticky (link in my signature)? If not, go there and do EVERY step. Do NOT SKIP any step. Note any changes, and if that doesn't fix it come back and tell us what happened during different tests.

When you say it doesn't turn on, do you mean that nothing happens? Do any of the fans spin (case, CPU, etc) or any of the lights come one (board, case)? Have you tried the GPU in another computer?

I'm thinking that your case might be causing a short, since that's the only thing that changed. Try breadboading the build (building it outside of the case) and see if it works with everything in it.

contrast_kma

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
thanks alot madadmiral i've already gone through your sticky and unfortuantly it didn't help i will try breadboarding it to see if it's a short and also i'm going to try the gfx card in my friends computer although i doubt the gfx is the problem as it is only around 1 week old as i sent off my old gfx on warrenty.