Power requirements for PCIe graphics card

I have an MSI RS480M-IL mobo and I want to add a PCIe graphics card. I'm not looking for anything fancy other that trying to get better performance than the integrated video and get a DVI output. Is an external power source required? I don't believe my current power supply has any available power plugs.
2 answers Last reply
More about power requirements pcie graphics card
  1. Almost anything will be faster than your onboard xpress 200. Depending upon what your doing with the GPU, you could get a low profile card that required no external power.
  2. SV_Bubbles said:
    Almost anything will be faster than your onboard xpress 200. Depending upon what your doing with the GPU, you could get a low profile card that required no external power.

The card I'm thinking about (MSI N9500GT-MD512/D2 because it's less than $40) says it recommends a 350W PS minimum. I currently only have a 300W in my system. Is it worth just buying the card and trying it out or is this something that can trash my PS or make my system unstable. I do know that my mobo is only pcie 1.0a compliant so I know that the card won't be utilized to its max performance. Perhaps this helps with the power consumption.

Thoughts?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power Graphics