Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Booting to SSD with OS problem

Last response: in Storage
March 3, 2012 5:43:35 PM

So here is the situation:

I am running a Samsung 830 64GB SSD for my OS and a SeaGate 1TB HDD for programs and storage. I managed to get my OS and everything on to my SSD and also the majority of my programs to the HDD. The computer boots just fine and quickly. In my "My Computer" folder, my C: is the SSD and my E: is my HDD. All of this registers just fine.

I have also gone in and moved my User folders to my HDD. I also changed a few registry items in Windows 7 64bit to where the program default file is now the one on my HDD. Nothing major (or so I think).

The issue is when I start up my BIOS on my ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe/GEN3 , on the boot menu it says that it is booting to my HDD. On the EZ setup menu, it only has two options, my HDD and my Optical Drive. I went into the advanced settings on the BIOS and found that it recognizes that I have the SSD there. So I changed it to where it was the hard drive boot priority and not the SSD and now on the EZ setup it has the two as the SSD and the optical.

Now, when I boot from here my windows comes up with an error message and then wants to run in its repair mode. When I do this, the only thing it wants to do is re install from a back up.

But when I go back to change it in the BIOS advanced settings to the HDD it boots up just fine.

I am kind of at a loss here. I do not know if it is just telling me it is going to the HDD but it says my C: is the SSD and its really booting to it. I just want to guarantee that I am getting the full performance that I should (hence the SSD). Any thoughts on this?

Also, I have both my drives (which are both SATA 6.0 Gb/s) plugged into the Marvel SATA ports on my MoBo. I think the Marvel is confusing me so I want to plug them into the other Intel ports. Would just plugging them in to the other ports be ok or do I need to change anything to do it? Will it be able to pick up the hard drives up in a different port and run fine?

This is my first build and it has been flawless up until this point. It is running well but I want to guarantee I am getting max performance. My rig is:

Case: Corsair Graphite 600T
PSU: Corsair Professional Gold ATX 850W Fully Modular
MoBo: ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe/GEN 3
CPU: Intel i-2700k
Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900Max
RAM: G.Skill RipJaw X-Series 4x4GB (16GB) DDR3 2133
SSD: Samsung 830 64GB (OS)
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
Optical: Samsung Blu-Ray ROM DVD/CD Burner
GPU: EVGA GTX580 3GB

More about : booting ssd problem

Best solution

a c 260 G Storage
March 3, 2012 6:29:05 PM

If your windows is installed on the SSD and it boots fine whatever the BIOS setup screen says HDD or SSD what is the problem? The BIOS thinking it is a HDD does not slow it down.
March 3, 2012 7:13:28 PM

In The BIOS all SSD is treat as HDD..@@
Related resources
a c 105 G Storage
March 3, 2012 7:19:47 PM

It sounds like you had windows on ya HD and then bought the SSD and installed windows on it, w/o disconnecting the HD. This left ya boot files on the HD.

Disconnect the old HD data cable before installing windows to an SSD to avoid this.
a c 352 G Storage
March 3, 2012 7:20:27 PM

Did You install windows to the SSD with The HDD disconnected - Recommended Method, Or was the HDD connected when windows was installed.

Does your SSD have that small 100 mb system partition.
March 3, 2012 7:25:07 PM

Open up a "Run" from your start button and open up "msconfig". What do you have listed under the "Boot" tab?
March 3, 2012 8:33:10 PM

i have the same problem i did EVERYTHING, haven't found a solution yet
March 3, 2012 9:20:22 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
It sounds like you had windows on ya HD and then bought the SSD and installed windows on it, w/o disconnecting the HD. This left ya boot files on the HD.

Disconnect the old HD data cable before installing windows to an SSD to avoid this.

Yes this is what happened. I'd like to know how to fix this too. I found this: http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/134274-mo...
It's got some things to try.
March 4, 2012 2:24:55 AM

RetiredChief said:
Did You install windows to the SSD with The HDD disconnected - Recommended Method, Or was the HDD connected when windows was installed.

Does your SSD have that small 100 mb system partition.

No, I orginally installed windows on the SSD with the HDD disconnected.

Now, in the BIOS, it is stating that I am booting to the SSD. I am not sure but maybe a windows update fixed the issue or it repaired itself. Either way it seems to be working just fine now. Thank you for all the answers.
March 4, 2012 2:25:27 AM

Best answer selected by BJJMark95.
!