Sign in with
Your question

5850 running slower with SDD upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2010 12:32:52 AM

Hi everyone,

A week ago I updated my computer with an intel 80 gb SSD as well as a 640 gb caviar black (for programs) from my 150 gb raptor (Clean install of windows 7 on the SDD). Anyways, before the upgrade I could play COD MW2 on max settings on my computer with my HD 5850 card and get 60+ fps no problem. After this upgrade, though, I am now only getting 30 fps, which is really cramping my game, haha.

Anyways, I've tried everything I can think of, like reinstalling graphics drivers from both the CD and the internet and installing motherboard drivers, but haven't fixed the problem yet. I tried using the raptor as my boot drive again, and the fps came back up. Do you guys have any suggestions of what I can do to fix this?
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2010 1:47:28 AM

30 fps, sounds like v-sync is on?
February 13, 2010 1:50:21 AM

No, it's not on. The game isn't pinned around 30 fps, but it averages 30 fps, being between 20-40 most of the time.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 13, 2010 2:55:24 PM

maaaybe youre using a different set of drivers (older) on the raptor than the ssd and theres some conflict?

id try running the latest drivers on the raptor and seeing what the results are out of curiosity
February 13, 2010 3:20:26 PM

A HD can only really affect vid-card performance only while it's being read. Once a game is loaded into memory, then it shouldn't matter if your have a 5400 rpm micro drive or a 1500MB/sec SSD.

If your drive is causing performance issue, it should show up as very high kernel time.
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2010 3:29:39 PM

Kewlx25 said:
A HD can only really affect vid-card performance only while it's being read. Once a game is loaded into memory, then it shouldn't matter if your have a 5400 rpm micro drive or a 1500MB/sec SSD.

If your drive is causing performance issue, it should show up as very high kernel time.

Actually dependiing on the game as you play there is a constant loading\unloading of texture and mesh files form the HDD during gameplay as well so the speed of the hdd can make a big difference on some games !!
!