Sign in with
Your question

Need help picking a motherboard (intel)

Last response: in Motherboards
October 7, 2010 1:31:46 AM

Thanks in advance for any input.

I've been piecing together a system over the past few months and am finally on the last few parts

I've settled on a i7 950

Looking at either the Asus Sabertooth x58 or the P6X58D-E

I currently have a tuniq 120 extreme cpu cooler

Still trying to pick my ram (was looking at OCZ3G1600LV6GK but i hear OCZ is having issues)

So here are my concerns:

I really like the sabertooth's design and features as well as the price, but I'm concerned there's not enough clearance for my tuniq. Does anyone have any experience installing the tuniq on this mobo?

opinions of the two boards?

If not that ram, what should I get? I'm just looking to run 6GB triple channel, nothing too crazy.

thanks again
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 236 V Motherboard
October 7, 2010 1:54:28 AM

1) OCZ's issues have been more with AMD than Intel, so you should be okay. I'm a fan of the G.SKILL PI Series DDR 1600 6GB (3x2GB) Cas7 memory over OCZ.

2) As for the motherboard, you can't go wrong with either. I see no reason why the SABERTOOTH will not work with the Tuniq (by board review not personal experience :)  ). I lean a little towards the P6X58D-E myself though. I think for the little extra money it is the better board. You can beat the price of the SABERTOOTH though :)  !!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2010 1:58:42 AM

1. both boards are great - kinda hard for me to pick one over the other lol.
2. clearance is just about the same - but i don't see why you should have any problems installing it (the tuniq that is).
3. oh god, I like OCZ, but that particular ram you want sucks xP. I had 4 buddies of mine RMA it after buying it. And one of 'em RMA'd it a second time. You might be better of with G.Skill or Patriot (maybe even Kingston).

Now both boards have jst about the same specs - with the P6X58D-E having a few more OC abilities (just slightly).

For ram, maybe something like this can work: Wheeee! x)
m
l
Related resources
October 7, 2010 2:54:17 AM

Gekko Shadow said:
1. both boards are great - kinda hard for me to pick one over the other lol.
2. clearance is just about the same - but i don't see why you should have any problems installing it (the tuniq that is).
3. oh god, I like OCZ, but that particular ram you want sucks xP. I had 4 buddies of mine RMA it after buying it. And one of 'em RMA'd it a second time. You might be better of with G.Skill or Patriot (maybe even Kingston).

Now both boards have jst about the same specs - with the P6X58D-E having a few more OC abilities (just slightly).

For ram, maybe something like this can work: Wheeee! x)

I haven't heard anything too bad about that ram, but I'm also of the mind that ram is one of those things you're better off avoiding risks with. I think the stuff you picked out's a little on the expensive side, but those CAS timings are incredible. I'm a bit leery seeing as no one has said much about them and again, I'm a bit concerned about clearance on that tuniq. The PI series really looks great, but will the tuniq fit with high profile ram?
m
l
October 7, 2010 5:35:17 AM

I really like that PI series ram if it will fit. But that Mushkin may be better so I don't have to worry about it. I'm a bit worried cause neither is on the QVL, but I guess I can just manually set it if I have to?

EDIT:
I'm just worried about how much clearance I'll have with this massive fan. I didn't quite realize how big this fan was when I ordered it. also is it possible to orient the cooler upwards to blow out through the top fan of my antec 1200? that would probably give me more room if I can do things that way.

If that doesn't work, I suppose I can get rid of the tuniq. if I did I was thinking of getting a hyper 212 and 2 of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

thoughts?

thanks again, guys
m
l
!