Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

May anyone assist me? I've a few questions about upgrading my system.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 13, 2010 1:08:47 AM

I'd really like to play Warhammer: Dawn of War 2. Only problem is my video card isn't good enough to run the game. I used a site called, "Can you run it?" and everything is above the recommended specs except my video card. Here they are.

CPU
Recommended: Intel Core2 Duo / AMD Athlon 64x2 4400+ or higher
You Have: AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor

RAM
Recommended: 2 GB
You Have: 3.9 GB

Video Card
Recommended: Shader Model 3 video card with 256MB (NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT / ATI X1900 or equivalant) with latest manufacturer drivers
You Have: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

So, I need to get a better card and I also learned I may need a new power supply as well. I've a 300W power supply. may need to go to 450-500 or so. Only question I have about that is are all power supplies compatible with all computers? I know that may be a dumb question, but I'm still learning.

What would be a good card to run the game? I've got a 20 inch monitor. so, from what I understand, I shouldn't get a card that's too powerful otherwise it'll just be a waste, right?

My computer model is a6650f. So that may help anyone with their advice. and also, if you could tell me what'll fit in my computer that'll be great, too. Don't really know if mine is PCI, AGP or PCI Express.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 13, 2010 1:21:44 AM

I think all Socket AM2 motherboards come equipped with a PCI-Express slot. Your motherboard might also be Socket AM2+, which is then even better.

I recommend to you an HD5670. It requires no additional power supply, and dominates the 7800GT/ATIx1900. It's also only $95.
m
0
l
February 14, 2010 6:08:58 AM

shadow187 said:
I think all Socket AM2 motherboards come equipped with a PCI-Express slot. Your motherboard might also be Socket AM2+, which is then even better.

I recommend to you an HD5670. It requires no additional power supply, and dominates the 7800GT/ATIx1900. It's also only $95.




Would I be replacing what I've got now or just adding a card?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
February 14, 2010 6:44:16 AM

What is the native resolution of your monitor and what is your budget?
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
February 14, 2010 6:47:28 AM

Sorry, didn't see that the monitor is 20" which most likely means 1600x900. For that resolution an HD5670 is pretty weak and it is likely the best card your current PSU can handle so you will need to replace it. I would recommend a 400+ watt PSU of a quality brand and an HD5770.
m
0
l
February 14, 2010 6:53:34 AM

jyjjy said:
What is the native resolution of your monitor and what is your budget?



My resolution is at 1600 by 1050 for a 20 inch monitor. and my budget is $150. If I can find a card that my 300w power supply can support that'll be great. and I just checked. I've got one PCI and one PCI-express slot.
m
0
l
February 14, 2010 7:11:52 AM

jyjjy said:
Sorry, didn't see that the monitor is 20" which most likely means 1600x900. For that resolution an HD5670 is pretty weak and it is likely the best card your current PSU can handle so you will need to replace it. I would recommend a 400+ watt PSU of a quality brand and an HD5770.



Would the Ultra series be good? and all power supplies are compatible? and I think my other card is integrated. if I have the GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 and the hd5670 running would it be okay?
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
February 14, 2010 7:41:03 AM

Yes your current video is built into the motherboard. As I said the HD5670 is quite weak for your resolution. The main point of that recommendation was that it will work with your current PSU. The weakest card you should consider is probably an HD4850 but if you can afford it an HD5770 would be a better choice.
As for PSUs looking at newegg I spotted this;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It's not the best brand but it's a very good deal and should be sufficient for an HD4850 or HD5770. These are both nice deals;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
February 14, 2010 9:14:31 AM

jyjjy said:
Yes your current video is built into the motherboard. As I said the HD5670 is quite weak for your resolution. The main point of that recommendation was that it will work with your current PSU. The weakest card you should consider is probably an HD4850 but if you can afford it an HD5770 would be a better choice.
As for PSUs looking at newegg I spotted this;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It's not the best brand but it's a very good deal and should be sufficient for an HD4850 or HD5770. These are both nice deals;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



Is there really that big a difference between the 5670 and the 5770? If it's really much better then I could go with the 5770 and I could get a Ultra 550w power supply.


m
0
l
February 14, 2010 10:08:55 AM

jyjjy said:
Yes your current video is built into the motherboard. As I said the HD5670 is quite weak for your resolution. The main point of that recommendation was that it will work with your current PSU. The weakest card you should consider is probably an HD4850 but if you can afford it an HD5770 would be a better choice.
As for PSUs looking at newegg I spotted this;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It's not the best brand but it's a very good deal and should be sufficient for an HD4850 or HD5770. These are both nice deals;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...




Alright. Is the XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 PCIE Graphics Card HD577AZNFC good? if it is. I'll order that along with the 550w Ultra series pro. also, are the ultra series power supplies good? I'm willing to go about $220 for both the card and the PSU now. figure it'll last me a bit longer. but please help me out with choosing a card. gets confusing. Sapphire, diamond, ati and all those others. they all the same thing?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 376 U Graphics card
February 14, 2010 7:27:57 PM

insidious234 said:
Is there really that big a difference between the 5670 and the 5770? If it's really much better then I could go with the 5770 and I could get a Ultra 550w power supply.

Yes there is. The HD5770 is approximately 62% more powerful at 1680x1050;
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_5670_I...
I've never heard of Ultra but the HD5770 is quite low power and unless it is truly terrible any 550w PSU should be able to power it.
The XFX card should be fine. I would choose mostly based on price.
Share
February 15, 2010 4:47:52 PM

Best answer selected by insidious234.
m
0
l
!