Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Coolermaster 80mm fan

Last response: in Overclocking
December 6, 2012 11:32:34 AM

Hey,

I got a Silverstone RL-01 case ( http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=329 ) which I currently use.

I'm getting a COOLER MASTER 80mm Case Cooling Fan in 2 days (for free :D  ) , the question is, is it possible to install it in my case? it has only 120mm fan slots.

The fans I got currently in the case is one 120mm intake fan in the front and one 120mm exhaust in the back, what if I install a (120mm or 80mm) fan on the top of my case as an exhaust? I've seen in many threads that Back and Top are good for exhausts.

Thank you!

More about : coolermaster 80mm fan

a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 8:30:27 PM

I personally always suggest a little more airflow pushing in than out. That would leave you with 120 and 80 pulling out with only 1 120 pushing in. That would cause pull through the case which causes more dust to come in the case. Positive pressure caused from higher intake than exhaust actually helps cause less dust to be in the system as the pressure acts somewhat like a seal.

Other than that, yes case fans on the top help a LOT! Remember, heat rises and doesn't just meander out the back. So pulling the heat out is excellent. I actually modded a few cases to have 120mm fans pulling heat from the tops just because they didn't come pre-installed. It's actually one of the best methods of dropping case temperatures for poor ventilated cases like the older ones which only pulled through a single intake in the front and pushed out the power supply.
m
l
December 6, 2012 11:12:17 PM

steddora said:
I personally always suggest a little more airflow pushing in than out. That would leave you with 120 and 80 pulling out with only 1 120 pushing in. That would cause pull through the case which causes more dust to come in the case. Positive pressure caused from higher intake than exhaust actually helps cause less dust to be in the system as the pressure acts somewhat like a seal.

Other than that, yes case fans on the top help a LOT! Remember, heat rises and doesn't just meander out the back. So pulling the heat out is excellent. I actually modded a few cases to have 120mm fans pulling heat from the tops just because they didn't come pre-installed. It's actually one of the best methods of dropping case temperatures for poor ventilated cases like the older ones which only pulled through a single intake in the front and pushed out the power supply.

Thanks for replying.

Are you suggesting that I should plug my 80mm fan on the top as an exhaust or an intake fan? there are two fan slots on the top, what if I plug one fan as an exhaust and get another fan and plug it as an intake? (that means the top of the case intake and exhausts using two fans)

There is another fan slot in the bottom of the case, in-case if the above suggested method is not good, shall I use the bottom fan slot as an intake and one top fan as an exhaust?

Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 11:23:52 PM

Always intake low and exhaust high. Remember, heat rises so you have to be prepared for that. Making an intake from the top would be of almost no benefit regardless. I'd make it exhaust from the top and back and intake from the case side (I don't think your case has a side mountable fan?) and front. :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 11:25:54 PM

Bah, forgot, putting an intake and exhaust right beside each other are going to be absolutely pointless as they'll create an airflow loop where they just pull in the other fans output. So no, don't go for an intake/exhaust that are side by side LOL.

Fans are cheap these days and I'd put another fan in the bottom of the case and put the 80mm on the top as exhaust. That will probably result in the best airflow with those fans.
m
l
December 6, 2012 11:38:29 PM

thanks again :) 

yeah no fan slots in the side, only 1 x 120mm fron, 1 x 120mm rear, 2 x 120mm top and 1 x 120mm bottom.

Then my air flow will be like this :

Intake : 1 x 120mm front and 1 x 80mm bottom

Exhaust : 1 x 120mm rear and 1 x 120mm top

The setup is fine right? :)  Hope I get some decent temperatures with this setup :) 
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 11:50:55 PM

I'd go with this..

Intake : 1 x 120mm Front and 1 x 120mm bottom

Exhaust : 1 x 120mm rear and 1 x 80mm top

That will give you a little bit of positive pressure to help reduce dust a little and should give plenty ample airflow. :) 
December 6, 2012 11:52:43 PM

Best answer selected by coolermaster_72.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 11:54:46 PM

You're very welcome! Let me know how it works out! :) 
m
l
!