Sign in with
Your question

5850 in xps 400

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2010 1:49:52 AM

So, I have a dell xps 400 with a Q6600 processor and a 8800 GTS 640 video card.
I am wondering if a ati 5850 will pull too much power I know it says it needs to 12v
connectors and I'm pretty sure I just have the one. Or, if anyone knows how much
more power it pulls than my current card?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

More about : 5850 xps 400

February 13, 2010 2:33:35 AM

Dell does put in somewhat decent quality power supplies-- but you should still upgrade to run a high end card like a 5850. If you are spending this much to upgrade your computer you don't want to take any risks.
(im pretty sure you have a 375w psu and the card asks for 500w)

I would suggest you purchase a 450-550w unit from a reputable power supply maker such as Corsair, Antec, OCZ, or Seasonic. (It doesnt have to be above 500w as long is it is a high quality, high efficiency unit--the 500w requirement is a safety margin for people that buy crappy brands.)

A good option would be the Corsair 450w for-$54.99 after MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A high quality power supply will be more reliable, quieter, cooler, and will offer you greater protection against electrical surges and etc. The one I linked comes with a 5 year warranty and runs at 85% efficiency.
m
l
February 13, 2010 2:41:00 AM

I'm thinking about building a whole new computer in maybe six months so I might just get a nice new power supply for transplant later. I don't know much about power supplies.

would this one be able to run a crossfire setup of two 5850?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for your help
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2010 3:22:17 AM

Yes-- that sounds like a great plan and is what I would have recommended. The 750w Corsair will last a long time and can run two 5850s. You can just put the old power supply back in this computer when you build the new one.

If you want to check you can try the power calculator on the Corsair website-- its pretty conservative so you can consider anything it says safe.
m
l
February 13, 2010 9:45:28 PM

Posting first time ever.

I had an XPS 400, it could feed power to the HD 5850 unless your particular PSU lacks the connectors.

The 5850 pulls 7W less than the 8800GTS/640mb.

More importantly, and the reason I'm posting for the first time ever- I cant stand seeing bad info.

The XPS400 is a BTX FORM FACTOR CASE.

The PSU pins to the mobo are not even the same, you'd have to do some modifications.

Unless there is a different ATX version of the XPS400, please take this into consideration.
m
l
February 14, 2010 4:19:59 AM

It says its your second post, not first :-)

I didnt have the exact model info and I haven't worked on an XPS -- so you should definitely look it up to find out if its BTX. Dell doesn't use as ridiculously customized builds now as they did in the past-- but this still wouldn't surprise me at all.

What I do know that running a 5850 on your stock dell power supply isn't a good idea. If we want to argue about whether running it is theoretically possible then you would have to post the full amperage details of the unit.
m
l
February 14, 2010 8:28:33 PM

heraisu said:

More importantly, and the reason I'm posting for the first time ever- I cant stand seeing bad info.

The XPS400 is a BTX FORM FACTOR CASE.

The PSU pins to the mobo are not even the same, you'd have to do some modifications.

Can't stand seeing bad info ? Why post it then ?
Yes the case is BTX form factor, as is the motherboard and power supply, but the pinout of both the motherboard and the 375 watt power supply follow the ATX standard.
m
l
!