Sign in with
Your question

Plextor M3 Series PX-512M3 Mac OS Benchmarks

Last response: in Storage
March 3, 2012 9:48:50 PM

I ordered a 512gb M3 SSD drive from Plextor.com. I tested the speed of the drive after it was installed and it was much lower than advertised. I called Plextor to see if something was wrong with the drive. After I told them that I have a Mac they informed me that I would not get the advertised speeds. They sent me the Mac benchmark report where the speeds are considerably less than advertised but Plextor does not publish this information anywhere and refuses to take their product back after they false advertise it. You would think they would do the right thing and put a * next to the speeds and then post the mac benchmarks so their potential buyers can make an informed decision. I'm thinking I should have stuck with my Crucial M4. I paid $656 to downgrade my system. Apparently Plextor believes false advertising is acceptable. Also, please beware of Plextors has a 14 day return policy for credit even with a 15% restocking fee. I called customer service 11 days after I received the drive but they refuse to take my drive back because it’s 14 days from invoice date. I ordered the drive on 2/3/12 and received it on 2/14/12. It took me 11 of the 14 days just to receive the drive. I had 3 days to figure out that I was not getting what I paid for. Anyway........

I was thinking dumping this drive and purchasing a new drive. I understand the benchmarks that are advertised are maximum speeds which is fine. I have a 2011 MBP 17, 16gb Ram and a quadcore I7 processor so I figured I would get somewhere near the top of the speeds. Are all manufacturers shady like Plextor with their speed specifications for Macs or does anyone know specifically of any manufacturers where I will get the advertised speeds? I was interested in the Intel 520 series, the Samsung 830 and the Corsair GT or possibly an OWC.

Thanks
March 5, 2012 12:17:47 AM

Are you the one who left the bad review on Amazon? I have a Plextor M3 256GB in my desktop and a 128GB in my Macbook pro, and they both scream. I feel like you may not have everything optimized, the SSD is too full, or something else. I've seen you post this in several places, including another older thread on this forum, and my performance is insane with both SSDs. What are you using to test/bench speeds in Mac OS?

PS The 512GB is a bit slower than the 256GB in iops (56,000 IOPS vs 70,000 IOPS in 4KB random reads and 30,000 IOPS vs 65,000 IOPS in 4KB random writes)

March 5, 2012 1:38:56 AM

Yes! I am the one. I've posted my review everywhere. I'll continue to spread the word and post additional reviews for the simple fact that I HATE when a company feels like they can take advantage of (or rob) people especially on a large scale. Then when it is brought to their attention they don't feel an obligation to do the "right" thing. I manage a 150 sales and customer service reps and managers for a company that does hundreds on millions in sales and I would be absolutely appalled if anyone in my company took advantage of our customers like I feel Plextor did. If my company makes a honest mistake, like not advertising something correctly, we make it right with the customer and then fix the mistake. We don't blow off the customer with a policy and then continue the same practice because then it's not a honest mistake. We would then become a dishonest, shady company like Plextor.

Hopefully this will clarify my position. I'm using a brand new MBP 17. It's lightning fast in general. I had a Crucial M4 256gb drive in it originally that was fast. No, I don't work for Crucial :D  I work in sales for a healthcare distribution company. I soon realized that 256gb was not going to be enough space for me so I figured I would upgrade to a 512gb. I also figured that I would take the performance to the next level and look for a faster drive. I did much research and finally decided that on paper the Plextor M3 was a good combination of speed, reliability and value so I purchased the drive on 2/3. When I had the crucial drive I tested the drive constantly and it always tested around or above 500mb/sec read and 260mb/sec write which is what it is rated (I used Blackmagic for the testing). So I spent the $656 dollars at Plextor.com and waited patiently for 11 days for the drive. (Fedex mis-sorts, etc.) I received the drive on Valentines day. I installed the drive with no problem and started using it. After about a week I started to test it and the speeds on the reads were in the low 400's occasionally hitting 440-450 but at times were in the high 300's and at times even lower. (I used both Blackmagic and Quickbench 4.0 for the testing) The same testing I used on the Crucial drive. So I called Plextor and as soon as I mentioned that I had a Mac they assured me that these benchmarks were actually pretty decent for a Mac. They immediately sent me an email with Mac benchmarks which I looked at. (Plextor uses Quickbench 4.0) This is where I really started to get annoyed with this company. I really didn't care at the time that they were knowingly fase advertising even though it would be pretty easy on their website to put an asterisk and post the Mac benchmarks. I said no problem, even though I don't want to deal with it I will send the drive back at get the drive from a legitimate mfr. that will produce the correct specs. I requested an RMA and thats where all of the real problems started. I was communicating through e-mail and the rep was asking questions that I had already answered making it a frustrating process. I told them multiple times that I wanted a refund. They finally issued the RMA and I thought everything was good. Then I get a confirmation e-mail for a replacement under warranty. It was already established that the drive was functioning correctly. To make a long story short they then denied the RMA for refund because it had been more then 14 days from the invoice date. So basically it took them 11 days to get me the drive and then they denied me because they invoiced me 20 days ago at this time. I only had the drive for 9 days. I sent them an e-mail back telling them I was unhappy and they never even had the decency to reply. Basically saying F-you it is what it is.

The bottom line here is that Plextor advertises specs, knowingly do not post the Mac specs which they have, say on the same spec sheet that the drive is Mac compatible but don't say at different specs which they have the information on, take 11 days to get the product to me, and then deny a return because of a bogus refund policy. The refund policy shouldn't even make a difference when you're false advertising. Basically the consumer is SOL. It's like buying a Mercedes and getting delivered a Chevy. Is a Chevy functional? Is it a nice car? Yes, but I paid for a Mercedes. Do I take them to small claims court?? Try to start a class action suit on principle. I would have happily paid the extra $100-$150 for a Samsung 830 or a Intel 520 but know I'm stuck with a drive and a company that I want no part of.
March 5, 2012 2:25:01 PM

MissJ84 said:
Are you the one who left the bad review on Amazon? I have a Plextor M3 256GB in my desktop and a 128GB in my Macbook pro, and they both scream. I feel like you may not have everything optimized, the SSD is too full, or something else. I've seen you post this in several places, including another older thread on this forum, and my performance is insane with both SSDs. What are you using to test/bench speeds in Mac OS?

PS The 512GB is a bit slower than the 256GB in iops (56,000 IOPS vs 70,000 IOPS in 4KB random reads and 30,000 IOPS vs 65,000 IOPS in 4KB random writes)

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3548/51161186.jpg

I find it peculiar that you posted PC benchmarks instead of your Mac benchmarks. PC benchmarks are not in debate here.
!