laskaqwerty

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Guys and gals,

I've got a NZXT Switch 810 and I am trying to work out best fan setup, I saw this on another forum:

7186686506_db4f76065b_b.jpg

Except I will have a Noctua D14 rather than a H100. So I am thinking the exact same fan setup, so one in every slot and the stock ones as in same position as in image and then I'm thinking either:

Scythe Typhoon Gentle 120mm x 4

or

Noctua FN-F12 PNW 120mm x 4

or

Cougar Vortex 120mm x 4

or

Corsair SP120 120mm x 4

I was thinking of getting some 140mm but can't really find any definitive recommendations. If anyone knows what the best 140mm fans are then what would be the best thing to do? 4 x 140mm or a combination of both?

I am happy to spend up to £20 per fan.

Also does anyone think a fan controller is worth it and if so what are some of the best around?

Eli5core

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
9 fans? a little too many IMO.

1 at front blowing to rear.

1 at rear blowing out

1 at side blowing in

1/2 at top blowing out

1 on cpu blowing to rear

all you need IMO.

laskaqwerty

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Sorry just to be clear I don't have the h100 so would just have 7.

What fans would you recommend and what sizes? 120 140 or combo?

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I live by these fans for 120mm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999344 But you better either use the controller or have one to use with it. I've had hundreds of different fans since the 1990's and these have been the most powerful and dependable I've ever used.

Now for the truth... CFM is the most important factor when it comes to moving air through the case in my opinion. The aim of case cooling is to keep the ambient temperature inside the case as cool as possible and remove all the heat generated from the CPU or GPU or HDD's and replace it with nice cool ambient temperature air.

Personally, I don't like the ideas of any closed loop water cooler as it's just not necessary anymore unless you're going to clock your CPU or GPU to the limits. The Hyper 212 from coolermaster paired with a decent set of fans can perform so well that unless you're running a top end custom built water loop; it's not worth the expense. The Hyper 212 can be had for less than $30 for the most part, and with the right fans can be pretty quiet and even as quiet as some of those prebuilt loops.

Eli5core is right, 9 can be too many. You're not going to be running 3 GPU's and having an overclocked processor that's tossing out heat like a burning coal in most circumstances; so 9 could be considered overkill.

Another thing to remember; the bigger the fan the more airflow at a lower RPM which means quieter. I personally have three 230mm fans in my system and aside from the two silverstones on the hyper 212 and the 140mm on the exaust behind it; there is no fan noise at 100% on the fans. They are nearly inaudible and actually push as much if not more air than my silverstones at high RPM. I actually hear my PSU fan running while they are at full!

There's SO many options for fans and I'm going to suggest you do the same as I did. Try different fan types and see which you like. Many people hate the Silverstone fans I use as when they are running at high speed; yeah they are LOUD as can be. But when lowered down they run pretty quiet and still push an adequate amount of air. I compare them to decent non-reference GPU coolers! Even my GTX 550ti fans can be louder than my silverstones but they only hit full RPM if I turn them that high.

As for fan controllers; I'd run giant passive heatsinks if it wasn't for being able to control fan speed. There are plenty out there and the choice is yours. I actually use the two that came with my Thor v2 case and love it.

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Noctua make some great fans , solid build and move lots of air . mY 120MM Noctuas been running 4 years 24/7 and they are as silent as the day I installed them , nly ting is the colour scheme sucks . Next scythe make good fans as well . Mt set up is 120mm in front one in back and one side ,that's all my cases need

Firedrops

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012
If possible, I would just remove that hard drive cage, even if it means losing the chanelling fan slot. If you don't need the slots for drives, the cage does more harm than good to airflow.

Cougars are very good fans, their 140mms are among the very best, along with Noiseblocker's BlackSilentPro series and Aerocool's Sharks.

laskaqwerty

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
I've settled on Noctua FN-F12 PNW or bitfenix spectre pro, and the bitfenix recon for a fan controller. Which of the fans should I go for?