Yawnage

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Hi!
I have a problem with my computer which has for me nearly moved into the mystical, a few more things to try and then the next will be calling a man of faith.

First, my systems specs (leaving out components i have unplugged)
MB : Asus P5Q Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 8500
Fans: One of the 2 CPU fans running. All case fans and fan controller disabled to rule it out
Memory: 2 sticks of Corsair Dominator 2gb (memory cooling fans disabled, as they were noisy and my case temp is low anyway)
Graphics card(s): Used to have a GF 8800 GTS 640mb, changed this for a ATI HD 5770 Hawk last week, possibly unneccesarily.
PSU: Corsair TX850

That is all thats plugged in at the moment- drives, extra usb hub thingy, fan controller, all disconnected to rule them out. Now for my little novel.

Two weeks ago i started getting lag accompanied by a "sound drag" (does that make sense as a descriptor?) resulting in a pretty fast bluescreen (BCC 116 irrc). I restarted, checked my temps, and resumed playing Quake live (which isnt exactly crysis). happened again, and upon restart i had some grapical errors in windows, dots around my cursor, lines on the screen etc. I thought this might be a vram issue, or atleast someting with the graphics card. i think the next thing i did was update my graphics drivers, maybe while in safe mode (where the graphics issues were not showing). On the next restart the issue had spread to post, lines all over n all that. I ordered a new gpu.

I had a feeling it might be the psu that had caused my vram to crater, but the gpu beeing old and corsair beeing corsair, i put the new card in and booted without even reinstalling the OS. Worked fine for a day or so, then the sound dragging problems started appearing again, while playing video files. I turned off my computer, and followed a guide closely to check the psu voltages. All the voltages were well within range on the motherboard connector. The next step would have been to check voltages while the computer was running, so i reconnected all the psu cables to the computer and turned it on with the case open and lying on its side (sorry if i am beeing overly detailed). Now the problem was suddenly in post again, green lines all over the preboot splash and post messages. I turned the pc off and put the case back in the horizontal, possibly thus making the psu's cables to move around a bit.. yanked out one of the ram chips, problem was not there in post. put the yanked out ram chip in the functional ram chips place, problem not there in post. put both chips back in, problem still not there in post. yay? booted the OS, and got ready for a OS reinstall. After the reinstall everything was good, i was running with my computer case open, untouched, anticipating a possible relapse. Everything worked perfectly, for several restarts to install drivers etc, and i ran memtest, intel burn test, and 2 hours of prime95 blend for 2 hours, without errors.
After all that, i was feeling pretty sure my problems were over. My case was making a lot of noise tho, so i decided to put the wires back in their old resting places (the extra wires that is, the psu is nonmodular). I turned off my computer, put the extra wires on top of the psu (antec p180 with isolated compartment for psu + hard drives). its a little cramped in there but i never thought it might be problematic.
I decided to start the computer before actually putting the lid on, to ensure all fans were running. My post is now absolutely filled with green, animated lines. Its like before, but worse.

I dont know what to think really. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? I am trying to get a loan psu from a friend to comfirm/rule out the psu, and will update this if resolved.
On that last fatal restart, all i did was move PSU wires around, (and reconnect a case fan which i had moved to access a wire, but this should be inconsequential as no components were even touched doing this) and the problem was back worse than ever.

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

download and run LinX (similar linpack burn in tool) and Furmark and run both for like a few hours and see what that finds

Also from history my builds using ASUS and Corsair the two never get along for some reason - go into the bios and set the FSB, PCIe, FSB Strap, Ram Speed (as close to 1:1 as posible) all manually, and give ram .1v extra and see how that goes.

Yawnage

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

honestly, the severity of the graphics error in post scares me so much i dont much feel like even trying to enter windows. maybe i will try the voltage adjustment after ive tried booting with a different PSU and the problem does persist (i assume you're suggesting its an issue with the corsair ram sticks).

not feeling like putting a possibly faulty PSU and putting it into someone elses computer :) still hunting for a spare PSU as i really cant afford to buy any more components on the off chance that they are the problem. didnt mind the gfx card as much, i suppose it was a fairly ok upgrade anyway. but dishing out 150 euros for say an HX750 would not feel good if it didnt solve all my problems ;)