Best motherboard

boodoctor1

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
G'Day. What is the best Mother board any price for the Intel i7. Not looking to overclock but use dual video cards PCIe. Looking for the future USB 3 6 core processor

Solution

No, wait for Sandy Bridge. Don't buy anything now. Better wait 3 more months.

boodoctor1

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
Ive been researching processors i am going to bit the bullit and buy the EXPENSIVE!!! I7 980x. I have been looking at the three top Motherboards that I have researched. Gigabyte Ga-x58a-ud9, evga Classified 3, and Asus Rampage III (Formula not extreme or gene) because of it sound advantage of extreme. I currently have two 1gig nvidia 9600gt sli I am keeping at the moment.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Buying an i7 980X at this point could possibly be the worst decision you could make.

If you buy a i7 930 system or even something with less performance now, then you will have enough money left over to buy Sandy Bridge when it comes out early next year. The new Sandy Bridge i5s are not far behind the 980X and they are only the mid range CPUs.

If you want to look cool don't go for the 980X, you will just look like a sucker in 6 months when CPUs which out perform yours can be bought for $350. If you get a new Sandy Bridge you should stay looking cool for 2 years +.

tecmo34

Administrator
Wolygon has a good point but I would say for the price... the i7 950 is the better deal! The ASUS Sabertooth recommended is good but for a little more I would just get the P6X58D-E (the better overall board).

If you are wanting the best of the best... You have to look at the EVGA Classified SR2, with it's dual socket setup (yes... two i7 980X or two Xeon's :) ), but again that is overkill unless you are into L2N overclocking benchmarking with four GTX480's. It is the board for you than!! :lol:

boodoctor1

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010

Thanks something to think about. Might have to wait a few months on the upgrade.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Yes it would be a wise choice.

Getting no system at all right now would be the best idea so you can chuck all of it at Sandy Bridge. Though it depends whether you can wait that long without an upgrade, I'm not sure what your upgrading from but maybe a cheap system like an Athlon II X4 build would tie you over.

Glad I could help.

@malmental
You should see jaquith's rigs. He has 2 Xeons with 4 GTX 480s. Then a 930 with 2 5770s for an "everyday" PC and then to top it off a 980X for a supposed "Gaming PC". Too much money I say...

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

No, wait for Sandy Bridge. Don't buy anything now. Better wait 3 more months.

Solution

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Nice choice for best answer, someone whos whole 1 post was limited in meaning.

andrern tried to say my post was stupid even though I said that it would be best to wait and not buy any system. Yet I acknowledged the fact that people need to upgrade and may not be able to wait.

Overall fail by andrern yet apparent win by you.