DELL COMPUTERS

hey guys

i just bought for my kid a used 2005 DELL GX280, with a single P4 3.4GHZ, 4G of ram, and a SATA disk, and it has a PCI express slot. Actually, i got an old 2004 DELL PRECISION 650, it got 2 XEON 3.2 GHZ, 4G of ram, 2 SCSI disk and a Saphyre HD3850 (AGP) card. my questions his, if im buying a good pci express GPU card, will the GX280 will be a better machine for my games??? im playing COD4 and COD4 MW2... please help me...
5 answers Last reply
More about dell computers
  1. Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The performance in games depends on the CPU, RAM and GPU. The GX280 is not a very good rig today and IMO installing a new PCI-E GPU will be only a wasted of money.
  2. so your telling me that my old precision with agp card will remain best even if i put a good pcix on the gx280... i tought it would be good...

anyone else agree with that???
  3. if the game is multi-threaded then the 650 will run it better and most are not multithreaded so the 280 with a good pci-e card will be better. Look for a nvidia 7600 series since they were low power cunsumption cards and your power supply should be able to handle it.
    By the way I have a Precision 450 with the 3.2 dual chips with a 360 watt power supply and I run two dvdrw two ide hd's 1 scsi hd 3 extra fans and an audigy platinum ex so dont listen to the power recommendations the dell precision has a underrated power supply it is actually a 30 amp supply.
    I hope you see this
  4. wouldn't bother spending the money it any card you would get that's stronger the 3850 would be severly crippled by a p4, most games today are multi-threaded usually only for 2 cores some for more but clock for clock even compared to a core 2 series a p4 is utterly terrible, just stick with your system you've got new, untill you get a better baseline cpu, your kinda stuck
  5. king smp said:
    if the game is multi-threaded then the 650 will run it better and most are not multithreaded so the 280 with a good pci-e card will be better. Look for a nvidia 7600 series since they were low power cunsumption cards and your power supply should be able to handle it.
    By the way I have a Precision 450 with the 3.2 dual chips with a 360 watt power supply and I run two dvdrw two ide hd's 1 scsi hd 3 extra fans and an audigy platinum ex so dont listen to the power recommendations the dell precision has a underrated power supply it is actually a 30 amp supply.
    I hope you see this

Whats the best CPU I can get in a Precision 450? I would like to go 64 bit, got some Xeons 3.6 they won't even boot, guess I was too ambitious.

Anyone know what the top 64 CPU for the Dell Precision 450 is?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs 4G RAM Dell Computers PCI Express