Sign in with
Your question
Closed

BSOD on boot

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2010 5:32:37 PM

I have a machine that is giving me a BSOD on boot. The usual, message, that I have come to understand means a hardware failure. Usually a RAM failure, at which point I put my memtest 86 disc into the drive, and reboot.

However, today I find that have not seen every reason for the BSOD on boot.

My machine has two IDE optical drives, and 1 SATA HDD. None of which show up in the BIOS. Everything is plugged in and powered up.

I make the assumption now, that I have a controller failure. I don't know which controller, and that is why I am here. I am also assuming that I will have to replace the mother board.

Does anyone have any other ideas, or want to confirm what I already suspect?

System is:

Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.4 ghz
Intel 925X Express Chipset
1 GB (2x512) DDR2
80 GB Maxtor
DVD-R Dual Layer
DVDROM
NVIDIA 6800
Audigy Sound

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

More about : bsod boot

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2010 7:20:37 PM

Have you tried testing the RAM sticks individually by booting with only one at a time? That's the first thing I would do.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to replace the CMOS battery on a machine that old. If it died and the system "forgot" its devices, or the BIOS file became corrupted, that could be causing all kinds of problems like that.

At any rate, I'd try the easy/free troubleshooting methods like that first.
February 22, 2010 7:25:54 PM

I pulled CMOS reset, and now everything is back to being recognized. Thankfully. I usually only pull memory after memtest 86 has said it's fine and I keep getting the same errors.

I am cautioully optimistic at this point, and I think the BSOD, was a bad file error on the HDD. Or so it appears right now. Everything is installing as it should. So Far
Related resources
March 4, 2010 1:30:45 AM

Best answer selected by iboomer.
February 23, 2012 1:28:27 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!