Sign in with
Your question

A Fix to My Problems

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2010 5:34:26 PM

I just built my very first computer. I bought all new parts except for a formatted IDE drive from my old computer. When I try to load up Windows XP (pre-SP2) I believe, it loads all the components, then gives me a BSOD.

It's the common one about checking if you have adequate disk space, changing video adaptors, BIOS updates, etc.

I've been trying to play around with this but to no avail.

Corsair VX550W PSU
Asus P7H55-M PRO
Intel Core i3 Processor
Samsung BG68-01111A
I don't have the HDD handy, but it's something like ST1A... etc etc. It's by Seagate.

I've checked to make sure everything is IDE for the hard drive.. I'm not sure what to do now. Help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : fix problems

February 22, 2010 10:43:27 PM

Couple of Questions:
1) Are you using the old drive with XP installed from your old PC or a fresh install (correct method)
2) Have you checked to make sure the IDE hard drive isn't set as a Slave drive?
Anyone of of these can cause a BSOD

3) After what components are installed do you get a BSOD? Could it be driver related versus hard drive related, if you already have XP installed.

I would think about saving up an additional $55 and pick up either the Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB or Seagate 7200.12 500GB hard drive to replace your IDE as the main OS drive. They are better and faster than your old IDE hard drive.

February 23, 2010 4:14:48 AM

1) The drive is completely formatted and empty, and
2) it's set on Cable Select. I've tried setting it as Master as well.
3) minimal components have been installed, mobo, (integrated vc), optical drive, and i took out 2gb of RAM

Thanks for teh reply.
Related resources
February 23, 2010 7:44:31 AM

The specific BSOD is:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure you have adequate disk space. If a drive is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adaptors.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe mode to remove and disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe mode.

Technical information

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0XC0000005, 0XF758E0BF, 0XF78DA208, 0XF78D9F08)

*** pci.sys - Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, DateStamp 3b7d855c"

The hard drive is the: (IDE) ST3160021A, Seagate Barracuda, 130GB

Any type of help would be GREATLY appreciated.
February 24, 2010 6:05:19 AM

Update: I just installed a slipstreamed XP with SP3. It went through the whole process in the blue screen of installing it, and then it told me to restart. Now, however, after loading teh first few screens, it shows me a blank black screen with a blinking line at the top.
February 25, 2010 1:16:25 AM

Well... we have at least go you installing Windows now... :)  Assuming you can still access your BIOS, I would do the slipstreamed XP with just SP2 and not SP3 to hopefully prevent install errors. I'm not sure how well the slipstreamed XP will work having to install SP2 and SP3.

If you get the black blinking screen next, I would wait at least 10 minutes (if you can) to just make sure it isn't thinking through the install process of the Service Pack or other Windows installations. I know when I do Windows updates and restart, I can wait for a few seconds (above the normal wait) before the black screen goes away and Windows starts.
!