Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installed the hyper 212 plus

Last response: in Overclocking
December 6, 2012 11:04:54 PM

I installed the cooler about 5 hours ago, I'm wondering how long will it take the paste to lower the temps, idle are a little lower than stock fan but at load i don't get past 50c. Which is great, because the other one went over 60c. I think i put correct amount of paste i used peasized method

More about : installed hyper 212

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 11:14:02 PM

It may take up to one week.
December 6, 2012 11:18:26 PM

Best answer selected by loresr97.
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2012 11:18:26 PM

thanks
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 11:21:46 PM

Idle temps are hard to reduce dramatically as even the stock cooler can easily cool an idle processor as it's not using any power really. So any drop in idle temp is really a good thing. As for it curing, it depends on the paste really. I've noticed most Artic Silver pastes usually take about two three days with some nice benchmarking/stress testing. Heat plays a major role in it curing and the temperatures really won't dramatically drop with it curing.

If you dropped a good 10C over the stock cooler, you probably did a pretty decent job of application. The difference between just adequate paste contact and perfect can be around 3-5C. But doing a bad job can range from being a little higher to OMG my cpu just caught on fire. So, let it set in and see what happens. The best idea is to do a couple test installs and see how well the spread is on the base. Remember, the base is larger than the CPU so you don't need enough to cover the entire thing. Also, the best application will result in about a paper thin layer between the base and the cpu which can be quite difficult to attain no matter how experienced you are with it.
m
l
December 6, 2012 11:29:18 PM

steddora said:
Idle temps are hard to reduce dramatically as even the stock cooler can easily cool an idle processor as it's not using any power really. So any drop in idle temp is really a good thing. As for it curing, it depends on the paste really. I've noticed most Artic Silver pastes usually take about two three days with some nice benchmarking/stress testing. Heat plays a major role in it curing and the temperatures really won't dramatically drop with it curing.

If you dropped a good 10C over the stock cooler, you probably did a pretty decent job of application. The difference between just adequate paste contact and perfect can be around 3-5C. But doing a bad job can range from being a little higher to OMG my cpu just caught on fire. So, let it set in and see what happens. The best idea is to do a couple test installs and see how well the spread is on the base. Remember, the base is larger than the CPU so you don't need enough to cover the entire thing. Also, the best application will result in about a paper thin layer between the base and the cpu which can be quite difficult to attain no matter how experienced you are with it.

Well I lifted the cooler when it touched the paste and it had a little extra but not too much, I guess the compound cooler master gives is less dense than others, i know artic silver 5 takes 200 hours to settle.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 11:35:51 PM

Yep, the cooler master goop is pretty decent stuff. Once you find that perfect amount, seat it and be done with it. Make sure you clean off that CPU and base with some isopropyl alcohol to make sure you get it all off. That stuff can actually cause higher temps if you don't clean it up; I've fell victim to it before! Just be careful and wipe off the alcohol/paste with a good wiping cloth or paper towel that won't leave lint/pieces behind that WILL cause troubles.
m
l
December 7, 2012 12:05:03 AM

Yeah I used the towel to clean glasses
m
l
!