Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Stock Cooler or Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 6, 2012 11:20:51 PM

Hi,

After months of planning, I'm am about to order the parts for my first gaming computer build this month. I am going to be a max settings PC gamer. I will also be using Skype while gaming and maybe have a little more multitasking then just a Game + Skype open. However, would it be worth it to get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo then just using the stock cooler? My setup will be:

***** I WILL NOT BE OVERCLOCKING *****

- Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Intel Motherboard

- Processor: Intel Core i7 2700K

- Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3

- Graphics Card: MSI Twin Frozr IV nVidia GeForce GTX 670 2GB

- Power Supply: Corsair TX750 V2

- Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1

- Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 (3.5g) High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound

Please don't tell me I have an overkill or anything. I'm looking to see all the possible pros/cons of having the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo then a stock cooler for a gamer, thanks!

And also, the 16GB RAM and the i7 2700k is for future purposes that are excluded and should not be looked out for, so please don't say I shouldn't get certain things or that they're overkill's.
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 11:25:19 PM

Well based on your build of course, that cpu is MADE for overclocking. I would definitely recommend the Hyper 212 EVO because you just CAN'T overclock with a stock cooler, it would get too hot. The Hyper 212 Evo/Plus is highly regarded as the best price/performance cooler. If you want the best air cooler and don't care about the price, get the Phanteks PH-TC14PE.
m
l
December 6, 2012 11:26:10 PM

EVO, but change your motherboard an ASUS P8Z77 will do good, and for more than 100$ less. No need for another thermal paste as the one it comes with is good. Change your CPU to i7 3770k. Do you really need the 16gb, 8gb is already too much for gaming. Don't get Vengeance, the spikes will bother the CPU cooler fan.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 11:32:12 PM

+1 to loresr97
Unless your doing video editing and modeling stuff you don't need an i7, the i5 is more than capable for 3d gaming...
m
l

Best solution

a c 132 K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 11:33:41 PM

Pros : Will be able to OC the CPU.
Quieter operation.
Better CPU and ambient temperature, can extend longer component life.
Cons : Large and might obstruct high-profile RAM, mostly not a problem with it..
May not fit in your case, in this case, it will for sure.
Added cost.

Now please explain why you have not selected a the Ivy-Bridge 3770K instead of the older 2700K?

One last thing, how much are you getting the GTX670 for?
If you have extra to spend I would suggest the below instead. HD7970 is the best single GPU at the moment adn it should not be much more expensive than the GTX670 you are looking at...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2012 11:47:23 PM

Hyper 212 vs stock cooler all depends on if you're overclocking. If you're going to; get the 212 without thinking about it. And if you're getting the 2700k, the stock cooler is more than ample to deal with it. You can actually get to 4Ghz on the stock cooler with non-stock thermal paste and good case cooling. The Sandy Bridge CPU with a fixed voltage of 1.2v or so stays at about 70-75C with the stock cooler with a nice run of Prime. The 212 will get you to the low 50's. So it IS a big difference.

The biggest thing about Sandy/Ivy bridge at stock is the variable voltages. Some will get hotter than others, but that stock cooler comes with it because it is ample to deal with the processor at STOCK settings. Either way, the 212 is going to be a good buy regardless if you overclock it. My 2600k is at 4Ghz and has the 212 and I can idle my fans on it and prime will sit about the same as a stock cooler at max RPM. However, I turn my fans up I don't break 55C in prime no matter how long it runs.

So if you have the ~$30 for the 212, I'd get it so you know you have room for overclocking later on. I'm also going to +1 with Novuake as the 7970 is the best single GPU, but personally I'd wait for the HD8000 series which should be coming within the next month or two and by the looks of things; it should be an astonishing jump.

i5 vs i7... No reason unless you do a lot of video editing and the like where the i7 will show more performance.

Sandy (2700k) vs Ivy (3770k). The Ivy does perform better, but from an overclocking point of view from the things I've been seeing, the Sandy is a little more tolerant to voltage increases. However the IB vs SB can be summed up like this.. IB@4Ghz = SB@4.2Ghz Not much of a gain but in comparison.. The 3770k is actually $10 less than the 2700k on Newegg. Just food for thought but personally I'd go with the IB.
m
l
December 7, 2012 12:08:46 AM

steddora said:
Hyper 212 vs stock cooler all depends on if you're overclocking. If you're going to; get the 212 without thinking about it. And if you're getting the 2700k, the stock cooler is more than ample to deal with it. You can actually get to 4Ghz on the stock cooler with non-stock thermal paste and good case cooling. The Sandy Bridge CPU with a fixed voltage of 1.2v or so stays at about 70-75C with the stock cooler with a nice run of Prime. The 212 will get you to the low 50's. So it IS a big difference.

The biggest thing about Sandy/Ivy bridge at stock is the variable voltages. Some will get hotter than others, but that stock cooler comes with it because it is ample to deal with the processor at STOCK settings. Either way, the 212 is going to be a good buy regardless if you overclock it. My 2600k is at 4Ghz and has the 212 and I can idle my fans on it and prime will sit about the same as a stock cooler at max RPM. However, I turn my fans up I don't break 55C in prime no matter how long it runs.

So if you have the ~$30 for the 212, I'd get it so you know you have room for overclocking later on. I'm also going to +1 with Novuake as the 7970 is the best single GPU, but personally I'd wait for the HD8000 series which should be coming within the next month or two and by the looks of things; it should be an astonishing jump.

i5 vs i7... No reason unless you do a lot of video editing and the like where the i7 will show more performance.

Sandy (2700k) vs Ivy (3770k). The Ivy does perform better, but from an overclocking point of view from the things I've been seeing, the Sandy is a little more tolerant to voltage increases. However the IB vs SB can be summed up like this.. IB@4Ghz = SB@4.2Ghz Not much of a gain but in comparison.. The 3770k is actually $10 less than the 2700k on Newegg. Just food for thought but personally I'd go with the IB.

Actually getting to 4ghz with stock cooler is not good, stock can overclock 300mhz no more. Even if he gets a non overclockable processor its always better to get an aftermarket cooler like the EVO. The HD8000 series are not coming in the next month or two, where'd you even get that from? The idle temperatures between stock and aftermarket are always similar the difference is the load temperatures.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 7, 2012 12:44:31 AM

Stock cooler is fine , good after market cooler will be a lot quieter , bring down temps , even at idle , heat is what kills electronics , the cooler the better . Don't have to spend a fortune , I bought a masscool 7wa868 for 9.00 after rebate and a deepcool mc3002gx for 18.00 and they keep my computers 20c cooler at max 10c cooler at idle at stock clocks , overclocked keeps them under 53c , could not oc with stock cooler . Did I mention they are very quiet ?
m
l
December 7, 2012 12:49:02 AM

Thanks for the replies guys... so let me get this straight...

The CM Evo's features are:

- Extends component life
- Keeps cooler
- More room for OCing
- More quiet

Am I correct? What else? Would it be worth getting the aftermarket cooler?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 7, 2012 12:55:03 AM

loresr97 said:
Actually getting to 4ghz with stock cooler is not good, stock can overclock 300mhz no more. Even if he gets a non overclockable processor its always better to get an aftermarket cooler like the EVO. The HD8000 series are not coming in the next month or two, where'd you even get that from? The idle temperatures between stock and aftermarket are always similar the difference is the load temperatures.

Running normal variable voltage, yeah; overclocking on the stock cooler is bad. But keeping the voltages off of the peak with fixed, 4Ghz is easy and I actually had my 2600k at 4Ghz with the stock cooler and never broke into the 80C. But beside the that point, yes aftermarket is better either way, but saving the cash is worth it if you go with stock. Cooler = better as it's easier on the CPU and actually can increase the lifespan compared to using a stock cooler.

As for the 8xxx series, did some research and you blew my hopes down good. Now it's up to Q2 of 2013!!!! That irks me! I'm waiting on those dang cards! My generation gap is past expiration date! I'm torqued, I had hopes of seeing them before summer!
m
l
a c 132 K Overclocking
December 7, 2012 1:39:49 AM

storm slider said:
Thanks for the replies guys... so let me get this straight...

The CM Evo's features are:

- Extends component life
- Keeps cooler
- More room for OCing
- More quiet

Am I correct? What else? Would it be worth getting the aftermarket cooler?

That's pretty much it. Except that its actually quite essential for any OC.

You should seriously consider a 3770K instead of the 2700K though...
m
l
December 7, 2012 1:49:49 AM

I've decided to add an extra $35.00.

I'm seriously not going to actually think about this, it's just $35.00 and for that much you'll get alot more in the long run then using an aftermarket cooler, thanks guys.
m
l
December 7, 2012 1:50:07 AM

Best answer selected by Storm Slider.
m
l
December 7, 2012 3:18:56 AM

steddora said:
Running normal variable voltage, yeah; overclocking on the stock cooler is bad. But keeping the voltages off of the peak with fixed, 4Ghz is easy and I actually had my 2600k at 4Ghz with the stock cooler and never broke into the 80C. But beside the that point, yes aftermarket is better either way, but saving the cash is worth it if you go with stock. Cooler = better as it's easier on the CPU and actually can increase the lifespan compared to using a stock cooler.

As for the 8xxx series, did some research and you blew my hopes down good. Now it's up to Q2 of 2013!!!! That irks me! I'm waiting on those dang cards! My generation gap is past expiration date! I'm torqued, I had hopes of seeing them before summer!

Yeah I got a 550Ti 1 month ago and I'm saving to get the 8950 when it comes out, hopefully at the same price as the 7950.
m
l
!