Samsung 830 – GPT Partitioning incompatible?

Hello

I recently had some problems with my previous purchase of an OCZ Vertex 3 and got an RMA, and I'm now looking for a new SSD for my new set-up.

Based on my own recent experience with OCZ and reading other general complaints my confidence in OCZ has dropped and I have decided to now look at getting either the Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 (256GB).

However I have read on one forum that the Samsung 830 is incompatible setting up as a GPT partition with an UEFI install. Can anyone confirm if there are any known issues with Samsung? I would have thought any SSD would have been compatible with GPT partitioning.
2 answers Last reply
More about samsung partitioning incompatible
  1. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't GPT tables not really neccessary unless using really big drives? What would be the goal on an SSD?

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsVista/AdminTips/Misc/WhentouseGPTdisks.html

Also, as for SSD reliability, it's not something that needs worrying about:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-reliability-failure-rate,2923.html

Recall that OCZ sells -a lot- of SSDs, so naturally they are going to report the highest return/failure rates.

Of course I can't speak against your experience.

I've had good luck with Mushkin products; their RAM has a crazy-low failure rate, which seems to be the explanation for their 10-20% price premium.

Mushkin Enhanced makes a Callisto and Chronos series drives which seem to be priced competitively on Newegg.
  2. Well on my new mobo (Asus P9X79 Pro) initially it installed via UEFI automatically thus creating a GPT partition (was on the aforementioned Vertex 3 I had problems with). As this was my first new build in several years and somewhat ignorant on what UEFI was I have had to do some homework.

But I guess you’re advising if the drive is less than 2TB (which it is or will be) then I should only install in a non-UEFI installation. However I thought there were other technical merits by UEFI other than just removing the 2TB hard-drive partition limit.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD OCZ Samsung Storage