KiraKrysis

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Specs
Motherboard: Asus sabertooth Z77
CPU: Intel i7 3770k
RAM: 8GB G.skil Ripjaw X @ 2133 Mhz
Cooling: Thermaltake 2.0 performer closed loop system

So far i'm stable at 4.8GHz with a vcore of 1.305 (set manually in BIOS)
Occasionally while watching HWMonitor the vcore goes up to 1.312v

I've ran Prime95 for 3 hours, No errors
I've ran IntelBurn Test on Max load (10 tests)
Temps remained at about 80c-90c

Am I using too much voltage or too little? or should I just reduce the multiplier to 47 and lower the voltage so the temps are always ~80c?

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a522/KiraKrysis/Untitled.jpg
(The chipset heat sensor is defective, which is why it says 127c for the chipset.)

Not really worried about it though. Before it went bad my chipset was always like 20-30c

Solution

Ah. Wow those are really good temps for 4.8GHz. Just have to stress that. LOL...

Well seems like a solid OC...

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
TJMax is supposedly 105C.. But I wouldn't run that for any reason. Supposedly also, the max voltage rating on the 3770k is 1.512 which even my Sandy Bridge would probably want to fry at.

Personally if I see 80C, I worry. I don't want that hot on my CPU and keep my max's at 80C for the CPU no matter the circumstances. I guess it's mainly preferences but from what I've read the IB chips don't take voltage as kindly as the SB's did. I don't have an IB and plan on skipping that gen. Personally if it was ME in your situation, I'd probably drop that voltage a tad and run a little less on the multiplier. Heck, we can't even hardly use 3.5Ghz much less 4.8Ghz. I'd be happy holding a 4.5Ghz clock if temperatures stuck in the 70C range at max.

That is a very nice chip you have there. 90C is a bit high though, if I were you I would drop to 47x. But thats just me...
1.305v is quite a low voltage for 4.8GHz but if its stable that just means you hit the jackpot with the chip you got...

Try disabling hyper-threading just to see if your temps drop. Curious to see how that chip would do without HT enabled. You should get some more GHz out of it...

Anyway have you tried any gaming with this sort of OC? That would dispel any stability doubt I do have at the moment.

KiraKrysis

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

I ordered a radeon hd 7970, but it was DOA so i currently have the nvidia 9800 GTX+ (from my 6 year old desktop) in my comp till the RMA hd 7070 gets here. Really the only game i've played on it so far has been league of legends and I have had no problems with it.

Yeah I heard in a few places that 4.7GHz is a sweet spot for the 3770k, but im not sure which voltage to use for 4.7, I heard its significantly less than what you need to run to get 4.8.

Not really the most intensive game on the planet, but no matter. Run prime for 6+ hours just to be sure.

You should also try Intel Burn Test but with Prime95 hitting 90C, Intel Burn Test is going to screw your CPU. LOL but Intel Burn Test is totally extreme though, you could never hit ANY situation to compare with it...

Let me know when you have disabled HT...

What Voltage Offset did you set?

KiraKrysis

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Prime95 temps are 70-75c, IntelBurn Test is when the CPU hits 80-90c, I am not using offset mode, I changed the mode to manual and am using 1.305v

Ah. Wow those are really good temps for 4.8GHz. Just have to stress that. LOL...

Well seems like a solid OC...

Solution

KiraKrysis

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

I'm actually surprised myself at how well it does at overclocking with mediocre cooling. The case fans I have are not very good, but im going to get some coolermaster 2000rpm green LED fans and put them on both sides of the radiator for push/pull. Its currently push/pull but the fans I have are not as good as the ones that I want to buy.

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6019

They seem like really nice fans, but if anyone else has some better suggestions for case fans I'll defiantly take them into consideration.

There are better fans but those are pretty good to, their rated Dbs are pretty low for 200rpm fans. What are your mobo temps like?

KiraKrysis

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

I actually edited my post above and included a SS, the chipset heat sensor went bad (which is why AUXTIN and CPUTIN say 127c), but when I was monitoring temps @ 4.8GHz before it went bad everything on the mobo (including the chipset) was around 20-30c.

Status
Not open for further replies.