Nvidia or ati physics

teulada

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Hello,
i was wondering..
Is ati better in physics or nvidia?
I'm going to buy a hd5770 but if you guys tell me i should wait for nvidia to come out with their new dx11 cards, i Will wait.

By the way, i'm going to Play crysis and far cry 2 which are pretty physics games and i want to let them look verry realistic.

If you don't understand me, its because i'm dutch lol

4745454b

Titan
ATI doesnt even support physics

Not sure I'd phrase it like that. "ATI" (should be called AMD now.) does support Physics, it just needs to run on something else. I think the OP is talking about PhysX, which is an API thats supposed to handle physics and runs on an Nvidia video card. Problems with this include it doesn't really do physics, it just adds extra smoke/effects to scenes. The other big problem is a game needs to be coded to handle this.

Speaking of which, neither Crysis or FC2 use PhysX for its physics. This means there is little reason to use an Nvidia video card for these games unless they are faster at it then AMD.

teulada

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

Can you give me an example on how it looks against nvidia physx? If you can, i would appreciate it very much.

would be nice if they ever ported Havok to OpenCL, then we could have a cross platform/cross vendor api physics api