Sign in with
Your question

Randomly Restarting Computer

Last response: in Overclocking
December 7, 2012 2:09:55 AM

Hello,

Recently I tried running Prime95 (I'm not too familiar with computers), however once i noticed temperatures (possibly 80 celsius) I turned prime off as quickly as possible.

Fast forward half an hour or so, my computer randomly restarts, then continues to do so until I give up. The next day I let it run and windows start up repair comes up so I let that go on, then afterwards I tried hitting the power button and just the fans are on, no LED's or connection to the monitor.

Later that day, I replug everything in my computer and it can boot up, however when I'm not running safe mode it will just randomly restart.

Is it possible I've done damage to my motherboard causing it to randomly restart?

System Specs: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit

Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor, 3200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

GeForce GT 610 1GB

8GB RAM
(kingston)
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2012 6:32:21 AM

If you do not have a case with high airflow, and you don't have a custom cooler (I am assuming you overclocked a bit) then you most likely damaged your CPU (safe mode puts waaaaaay less stress on your CPU than normal windows) so it will randomly restart when under a bit of load. It could be the motherboard, as when components are damaged it causes instability, but it is more likely the CPU, as that's where the 80 C was on. CPU's can normally handle this temperature but some can crumble under it (general rule of thumb for CPU temperatures is stay in the low 60's, but below 60 is better). You can either get a new CPU and try it out, or get a new motherboard and try it out.
m
l
!