2 HDDs in my house stopped working completely.

railpressureflip

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
This is extremely odd, it doesn't make much sense at all. I'll tell you in brief what happened, but will try to include all the possible details.

I've got 2 internal HDDs, 1TB each. They were sitting in my PC and were working fine. My dad told me his external HDD had stopped getting detected by his laptop, so I looked into it, and it didn't detect in my desktop either. So I opened the casing and took the HDD out, thinking that the circuit that connects the usb and power may be faulty. So I took it completely out of all its casing and put it into my PC with a power and sata cable. It didn't work. So I thought of trying the last-resort-formula; the freezer. Put it into a ziplock bag and placed it into the freezer for an hour. (I've revived an HDD this way before, so I know for sure it works and isn't just a myth!)
Took it out of the freezer and tried it in my PC again, but it still didn't make much of a difference at all. So finally I figured, I'll download a software off the internet for data retrieving and leave it on overnight. At this point, I had only my OS drive plugged in, and my other drive was unplugged since I didn't want to accidentally make any changes to it. So now I plug in my other 1TB HDD, and THAT STOPS WORKING TOO. It doesn't get detected by windows at all. I touched it's surface and it doesn't seem to have its platters rotating either, (No vibration or sound).

How weird is that? How is that even connected? Does this make sense to any of you? Any help will greatly be appreciated, I have extremely important data on that HDD, and so does my dad on his external that I'm now using as a internal.

Thanks a ton in advance!

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
If they are seagates and a couple of years old i would say you just got the famous seagate brick and your lucky they lasted this long (I had 2 brick on me in mid 2010 within a few months of each other). However if they are and you have a bit of time and craziness google around and theres videos showing some extreme DIY methods to revive them that do actually work

railpressureflip

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Nah, neither of them are Seagates, All of them are Western Digital! They were working just fine before. I mean, them dying out of the blue doesn't make any sense at all! :S

Still trying here and there, seeing if any thing can be done

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
whats the specific model number. Hammer that in to google and add the word "bricked" to the end if its a known issue you will get a mass of results specific to that model.

If that fails to shine much light ask yourself "how important is the data?" proper data recovery can be expensive if its just some homemade Pron and a few knock off DVD's likely not worth it.

Finally are they still under warranty? If they are send them back though this way you will most likely lose your data. If they aren't under waranty and you dont want to blow out on recovery shove them on Fleabay HDD prices right now means people are buying bricks in the vague hope of restoring them and selling them on as working.

railpressureflip

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Googled that but it doesn't return any useful results. All of my music and photos are on there (I'm both, a musician and a photographer. No ego intended!)

Nope, doubt if Its still under warranty. Guess I'll keep googling and see if I come across any help. Thanks for your help though, much appreciated!

Ps: I found out that the disk turns on, but it doesn't rumble as much as my OS drive. Does it mean its not spinning? That is possibly the reason I suppose. Don't know how to make it spin. :S

TRENDING THREADS