Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

POP3 mail v551

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 4:37:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Can you retrieve mail from any ISPs (that you have an account with) pop3
mail server with the v551?
MG

More about : pop3 mail v551

March 17, 2005 4:37:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Mr.~G. wrote:

> Can you retrieve mail from any ISPs (that you have an account with) pop3
> mail server with the v551?
> MG
>
>


Actually, I considered trying to do that for a moment, than I decided I
didn't really need my 551 to open spreadsheet. So, I use the 551 for
voice and a PC for email.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 9:14:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
news:4239156d$0$88029$16895aa@news.airnews.net...
> Mr.~G. wrote:
>
>> Can you retrieve mail from any ISPs (that you have an account with) pop3
>> mail server with the v551?
>> MG
>
>
> Actually, I considered trying to do that for a moment, than I decided I
> didn't really need my 551 to open spreadsheet. So, I use the 551 for
> voice and a PC for email.
>
> --
> jer
> email reply - I am not a 'ten'

The short answer is yes you can retrieve pop3 email from any ISP that will
allow you access to the mail server outside their domain. From what I have
seen retrieving email is usually no problem, however, sending email through
your ISP may be blocked unless you are logged into their domain. As an
example Earthlink prohibits using their mail servers unless you are logged
into your Earthlink account. They do this to combat spammers.

As for the value of using the V551 for email I generally attach the V551 to
my PDA via Bluetooth and download email headers that I can review. If there
is something important that I need to read or respond to I can download the
message onto the PDA. The advantage over a PC is that I am not tethered to a
wired LAN connection or a WiFi hotspot. Try using your PC on a subway or a
city bus...good luck.

Cheers
TC
Related resources
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 3:34:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I really don't wish to open any files on the v551. I spend many hours
behind a corporate firewall that blocks my personal ISP mail account (and
others). So, I thought that at least I could check the headers and some
text-only messages from the phone.
MG

"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
news:4239156d$0$88029$16895aa@news.airnews.net...
> Mr.~G. wrote:
>
>> Can you retrieve mail from any ISPs (that you have an account with) pop3
>> mail server with the v551?
>> MG
>
>
> Actually, I considered trying to do that for a moment, than I decided I
> didn't really need my 551 to open spreadsheet. So, I use the 551 for
> voice and a PC for email.
>
> --
> jer
> email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 6:26:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Mr.~G." <taekwonmg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:kmp_d.12386$qf2.9025@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>I really don't wish to open any files on the v551. I spend many hours
>behind a corporate firewall that blocks my personal ISP mail account (and
>others). So, I thought that at least I could check the headers and some
>text-only messages from the phone.
> MG
>
> "Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
> news:4239156d$0$88029$16895aa@news.airnews.net...
>> Mr.~G. wrote:
>>
>>> Can you retrieve mail from any ISPs (that you have an account with) pop3
>>> mail server with the v551?
>>> MG
>>
>>
>> Actually, I considered trying to do that for a moment, than I decided I
>> didn't really need my 551 to open spreadsheet. So, I use the 551 for
>> voice and a PC for email.
>>
>> --
>> jer
>> email reply - I am not a 'ten'
>
>

I believe you can access your POP3 account from within the Media Net
connection. Go to the messaging section and set up your email account.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 4:46:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Yes Wireless,
But that is using the browser and the data downloaded counts towards the
plan. If I could get the POP thing to work it would be messages (like SMS)
rather than data - I think. So, my question revolves around the settings to
make POP3 mail work.
MG


"Wirelessjuan" <wirelessjuan2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:3Ur_d.12845$Z07.2805@trnddc02...
>
> "Mr.~G." <taekwonmg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:kmp_d.12386$qf2.9025@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>>I really don't wish to open any files on the v551. I spend many hours
>>behind a corporate firewall that blocks my personal ISP mail account (and
>>others). So, I thought that at least I could check the headers and some
>>text-only messages from the phone.
>> MG
>>
>> "Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
>> news:4239156d$0$88029$16895aa@news.airnews.net...
>>> Mr.~G. wrote:
>>>
>>>> Can you retrieve mail from any ISPs (that you have an account with)
>>>> pop3 mail server with the v551?
>>>> MG
>>>
>>>
>>> Actually, I considered trying to do that for a moment, than I decided I
>>> didn't really need my 551 to open spreadsheet. So, I use the 551 for
>>> voice and a PC for email.
>>>
>>> --
>>> jer
>>> email reply - I am not a 'ten'
>>
>>
>
> I believe you can access your POP3 account from within the Media Net
> connection. Go to the messaging section and set up your email account.
>
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 6:40:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

> Actually, I considered trying to do that for a moment, than I decided I
> didn't really need my 551 to open spreadsheet. So, I use the 551 for
> voice and a PC for email.
>
> --
> jer
> email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Geez - That was a helpful answer, wasn't it!
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 8:47:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <4239b83e$0$88041$16895aa@news.airnews.net> on Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:02:56
-0600, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>Tony Clark wrote:

>> The short answer is yes you can retrieve pop3 email from any ISP that will
>> allow you access to the mail server outside their domain. From what I have
>> seen retrieving email is usually no problem, however, sending email through
>> your ISP may be blocked unless you are logged into their domain. As an
>> example Earthlink prohibits using their mail servers unless you are logged
>> into your Earthlink account. They do this to combat spammers.
>
>True, but unfortunately, the only thing this accomplishes is
>non-standard ports being opened up for SMTP to bypass the 'home'
>filters. This method of spam control is nothing more than a feeble
>attempt to appear proactive, and only makes SPAM more difficult to
>track. One of these days, someone with a clue is going to honestly
>evaluate the long-term cost of doing something effective, but I'm not
>holding my breath.

Amen.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 8:48:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <w2W_d.15332$qf2.7404@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Sat, 19 Mar 2005
13:46:04 GMT, "Mr.~G." <taekwonmg@hotmail.com> wrote:

>But that is using the browser and the data downloaded counts towards the
>plan. If I could get the POP thing to work it would be messages (like SMS)
>rather than data - I think.

Nope -- it's data (not SMS).

>So, my question revolves around the settings to
>make POP3 mail work.

See my webpages below.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 8:49:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <ly50e.36724$8D.2110@tornado.texas.rr.com> on Wed, 23 Mar 2005 03:40:01
GMT, "Steve B" <steve@aol.com> wrote:

>> Actually, I considered trying to do that for a moment, than I decided I
>> didn't really need my 551 to open spreadsheet. So, I use the 551 for
>> voice and a PC for email.
>>
>> --
>> jer
>> email reply - I am not a 'ten'
>
>Geez - That was a helpful answer, wasn't it!

Your response was even less helpful.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 2:39:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Thanks. I'll read through that.
MG

"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
news:2_h0e.11965$m31.124461@typhoon.sonic.net...
> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <w2W_d.15332$qf2.7404@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Sat, 19 Mar
> 2005
> 13:46:04 GMT, "Mr.~G." <taekwonmg@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>But that is using the browser and the data downloaded counts towards the
>>plan. If I could get the POP thing to work it would be messages (like
>>SMS)
>>rather than data - I think.
>
> Nope -- it's data (not SMS).
>
>>So, my question revolves around the settings to
>>make POP3 mail work.
>
> See my webpages below.
>
> --
> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
March 26, 2005 6:58:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

John Navas wrote:
> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <ly50e.36724$8D.2110@tornado.texas.rr.com> on Wed, 23 Mar 2005 03:40:01
> GMT, "Steve B" <steve@aol.com> wrote:
>
>
>>>Actually, I considered trying to do that for a moment, than I decided I
>>>didn't really need my 551 to open spreadsheet. So, I use the 551 for
>>>voice and a PC for email.
>>>
>>>--
>>>jer
>>>email reply - I am not a 'ten'
>>
>>Geez - That was a helpful answer, wasn't it!
>
>
> Your response was even less helpful.
>
And your's even less, so what's the point?
!