Bottlenecking with 5970?

I'm starting my first build soon, and I'm wondering if a i7 930 OC'd to 4GHz will bottleneck a 2GB 5970? I need it to run 3 24" monitors without any lag to it's full power with a 850 watt PSU.
7 answers Last reply
More about bottlenecking 5970
  1. earwax_man said:
    I'm starting my first build soon, and I'm wondering if a i7 930 OC'd to 4GHz will bottleneck a 2GB 5970? I need it to run 3 24" monitors without any lag to it's full power with a 850 watt PSU.

Nope. For those resolutions and amount of monitors, the gpu will be the bottleneck. so nothing to worry about on the cpu end.
  2. Nope. With an i7 @ 4.0GHz, you should have no problem even with 2x 5970 2GBs (1GB each) or the 4GB version (OCed and 2GB each) in QuadFire.
  3. Bluescreendeath said:
    Nope. With an i7 @ 4.0GHz, you should have no problem even with 2x 5970 2GBs (1GB each) or the 4GB version (OCed and 2GB each) in QuadFire.

Yep +1. i7 is a very powerfull CPU. You won't have problems even at stock i think (with single 5970), especially 'cause you will be running big res and that will depend a lot on the GPU.
  4. the cpu is fine.... even a single 5970 is good enough to handle the 3 monitors... contrary to what another member said...
  5. abhishekk89 said:
    the cpu is fine.... even a single 5970 is good enough to handle the 3 monitors... contrary to what another member said...

Did i say it wasn't good enough to handle 3 moniors?

All i said was the gpu was going to be the bottle neck. Which doesn't mean it wont be enough to power. It meaning that any bottlenecks that will/is happen in a computer will happen at the gpu and not the cpu.

Now will the bottleneck be noticeable? maybe, maybe not. Even if you cant see it now, there is always a bottleneck in any computer which will eventually become noticeable over time.
  6. If a 4ghz i7 would bottleneck it what wouldn't? =-o

With eyefinity the GPU is going to be doing most of the work. I7 @ stock wouldn't bottleneck that.
  7. exactly... if 4 ghz can't handle the 5970 then you wait for new processors altogether :)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Bottleneck Intel i7 Build