Why are CLC not liquid cooling.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It's not exactly water cooling, but more liquid cooling since technically a coolant is used and not water...but closed loop liquid cooler denotes these from normal water loops. The principles are the same as normal watercooling, but in a scaled down sense and in a package that isn't user serviceable. The biggest difference is a weaker-flowing pump, smaller diameter tubing and small radiator.

Saying that watercooling loops and closed loop liquid coolers are both watercooling would be similar to saying a high-end Mercedes SLK and an entry level Kia Sonata are both cars. Same purpose, same concepts, different levels of performance and expectations.

Lutfij

Titan
apparently I've noticed how so many people understand don't that analogy with cars. They are both cars with 4 wheels. It gets them places and it needs fuel to run on.

if only posters realized how much heat 1 or even 2 120 rads can throw from the loop...

William_White

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

Most CLCs have atleast one 120mm radiator. I am not disputing that a custom loop will work better I am disputing the seemingly blanket statement of:
How so? It's not for overclocking its because of a lack of space and ventalation for a standard cooler.
Because those all in one closed loop water kits really aren't that great. In terms of performance they perform about as good as high-end air cooling like a Noctua D14. IMO they aren't worth the money, if you really want to do water cooling do a custom water loop.
and
I prefer real water to 'Fisher-Price' all in ones

Some people use coolant in their loops as well. Otherwise, coolant would not be made.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Rubix hit the nail on the head. Doesn't matter what anyone says. THEY ARE LIQUID COOLING. A car is a car. A liquid cooler is a liquid cooler.

Closed loops just aren't as efficient . His analogy is spot on. Don't expect a Kia to hang with a Ferrari.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Some people use coolant in their loops as well. Otherwise, coolant would not be made.
If this is the basis of the argument then it really isn't an argument. Coolant is still primarily 'water', anyway. My point is that while they are similar in principle and operation, there are some differences and that is how we typically denote them as not being exactly 1:1.

William_White

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

I was making the point that the all-in-one's use of coolant making it not water cooling was an invalid point, so we agree.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Seems like a kia optima beats a ferrari 308
308 was one of the slowest cars Ferrari made...not exactly performance by their standards. But, you are correct...and I should have been more clear and specified cars of somewhere within the same decade of production.

And for the record, my example was an SLK Mercedes...it was more the big, powerful and luxurious vs the small, compact and 'barely gets the job done' ranks. :)

Lutfij

Titan
lets see if I can take a bite at this piece of cake :)

@ OP
1| the base flaw in all of these all-in-one coolers is the pump and chamber in which its housed in. Its weak and cramped into a tight space. Might want to check out your friends CLC and see how warm the chamber is, not a good thing for something with a lil heart.
2| the second flaw would be the use of and aluminium rad along with a copper base plate thas in contact with the cpu/heatsource. corrosion does happen. In fact coolant inside that all-in-one loop doesn't prevent corrosion.

you do the math, after warranty expires on these units, you won't have anything to say to the manufacturer when it'll leak.

3|
coolants were made for specific reasons for specific climatic conditions. Everything in life has it compromises, that is trading in stocks can give you huge dividends but the risk involved is high. So high that people loose sleep trying to make those ends meet. Like wise, coolants add restriction to your loop.

If you're referring to the coolants made by watercooling manufacturers...then put plainly, its just another money making scheme. Whereas the "distil+killcoil" route is similar and far cheaper. Tested, proven and recommended by so many watercoolers than ourselves.

4| as stated previously, all-in-one units have a segment in the market, just that, that segment is full of uniformed buyers.

William_White

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Uninformed buyers or people who do not want to hassle with a full loop or people who are space constrained (height mainly) and want better cooling, or people who do not have the budget for a full loop. I fall into the last two on my current build only an A10; for my main desktop I am going to do a full loop with 7970 and an i7.

Lutfij

Titan
given that the A10 can't be thrown outside the low~mid end gaming scene, you won't need to overclock it, no need for heat dump thus no need to go that route, good air cooler does the job just fine.

Uninformed buyers
those would be people who are too stubborn to feed themselves with info.
people who do not want to hassle with a full loop
:) oh I've seen alot of that. Its not rocket science. Just some time and patience - kinda like taking your car to the car wash and giving it some loving with a waxpolish afterwards.
people who are space constrained
overclocking in a flat style desktop case?

if you need to cool in a space constrained case, there are a lot of top down blowing coolers available.

Allinones, or Fisherprice cooling as I coined it often serves to get people into 'real' watercooling, because they are disappointed with the performance from their 'liquid-cooled' Pc,
and they move onto a custom loop,
using Rubix' analogy I'd compare them as h50=skateboard, custom water= any car with an engine, the more money you put into a loop, the better it can perform, but the allinones do serve a purpose,
Moto

William_White

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
I wouldn't say skateboard but can you find an air cooler that preforms as well as an h50 or 60 in less then 53mm that does't need a vent directly above it or cover the ram slots on a mini itx board I would like to see it.