Sign in with
Your question

Neverending reboot

Last response: in Components
April 30, 2010 6:32:41 PM

For some reason my computer reboots endlessly. I tried to repair the OS (XP) from a bootup disk, but during the setup, I get 1 of 2 errors:

File isapnp.sys caused an unexpected error (4096) at line 5964 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\setup.c.

or

File \i386\halaacpi.dll could not be loaded. The error code is 7

Any ideas on what this could be or what I need to replace would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

More about : neverending reboot

April 30, 2010 6:57:24 PM

[1] I assume that "repair" means you did a clean install. Try a different boot disc, since the one you are using might having problems.
[2] If you are sure that the boot discs are perfectly fine, then your HDD is probably corrupted & you'l have to replace it.
m
l
April 30, 2010 7:05:05 PM

I used the XP cd and booted straight off that. I was leaning toward the HDD, but I wanted to make sure before I sunk money into it.
m
l
Related resources
May 1, 2010 3:17:01 AM

The repair just reinstalls all the OS system files.
You might either have a bad virus or your hard drive is bad.
Try running Check Disk to see if you have any dead sectors.

I just came across a computer the other day that went through a the endless reboots like yours. Turns out it was a bad hard drive. It was a Seagate. I've had more Seagate hard drives die than any other drives.
m
l
May 1, 2010 4:48:13 AM

Ok. I went out and bought a new HDD today, but Im still getting a similar error when I try to boot up from the XP cd ( File \i386\KDCOM.DLL could not be loaded.). The error gets thrown when XP tries to load the Setup files. Correct me if Im wrong, but dont the files get loaded into the RAM first? The memory checks out ok on the bootup though.
m
l
May 1, 2010 7:56:59 AM

Does your mobo give the POST beep @ startup?
m
l
May 1, 2010 7:58:35 AM

Did you have McAfee anti-virus?

McAfee released an update a few weeks ago that crashed computers nationwide and forced them to go into an infinite restart loop.
m
l
May 1, 2010 8:28:27 AM

if nothing else reformat, I do it every 6 months to keep a good clean new system feeling
m
l
May 1, 2010 1:36:11 PM

Getting POST beep and I dont use McAfee. Keep in mind, this is a brand new never been used right outta the box HDD that I just put in the system and Im getting the same errors as before.

Does anyone know where the setup files (.dlls) get loaded to when trying to setup Win XP (the setup files prior to the disk formatting)?
m
l
May 1, 2010 4:16:02 PM

That happened to me too. I was using XP Pro normally but then one day, it would crash then reboot and this repeats over and over again. I didn't think of using the OS disc though. I'm guessing it's my hard drive that broke down since the computer was 8 years old. LOL i know its reallly outdated.
m
l
May 2, 2010 2:15:33 PM

Check if your RAM is working properly.
remove the RAM and turn on your PC, if the PC does not restart continuesly then your RAM has been damaged. replace it and your system should work perfecly
m
l
November 14, 2012 5:44:05 AM

masterasia said:
The repair just reinstalls all the OS system files.
You might either have a bad virus or your hard drive is bad.
Try running Check Disk to see if you have any dead sectors.

I just came across a computer the other day that went through a the endless reboots like yours. Turns out it was a bad hard drive. It was a Seagate. I've had more Seagate hard drives die than any other drives.

Hi Sir,

How to run check disk if the pc is not working properly meaning it won't go to windows?

Regards,

ck34
m
l
!