Overclocking fail? PC shut down itself

d1versify

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012
Hello, i just saw in some forums how to overclock a 7870 through AMD overdrive (in fact it told me to go to 1150 clock speed and 20% power).
I am really unfamiliar with all this stuff, i know i shouldnt have done anything since i dont know what im doing. Anyway i was playing a game of Dota2, and my fps dropped from 90 to 5 every once in a while. I dont know if it was because of that, but then restarted the PC, and set the default settings and it ran well again. Then played another game for dota2 , and after 40 minutes the computer shut down ! I think i heard a sound before it shut down, but thought it was from Dota. But im like 60% that i heard a sound. My computer is 7 days old, just bought it, and it never shut down again, even playing for many hours Planetside2 , which is a far heavier game. Then when i switched it on the Keyboard wouldnt work, even thought the Num Lock light was on. Then i changed USB slot and it worked. I dont know if it has anything to do with it, but i have to mention it.
So in the end, id like to ask what could it be that made my new computer shut down? Was it the overcloak? I have now disabled AMD overdrive. Please it never did it again and i know PCs shouldnt do that for no reason. Oh and the heat was normal i think !

MrTechnoShock

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
Most likely the PC shutdown due to overheating, when you overclock a graphics card it goes beyond the factory temperatures.

Since the computer is only 7 days old, i doubt it has anything to do with a hardware malfunction....dig into overclocking and do some research before trying to overclock

Hope this helped ;)

d1versify

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012

I restored the settings to default and even disabled the AMD overdrive!! :( Now it shut down once more, while surfing the web :(

TRENDING THREADS