Deciding between 2 memory to buy

shuojinz

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
The better is G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL; its latencies are lower than the other. It looks like it will work on you board.

If you are not running a 64-bit OS, then you will not be able to use more than ~3.5GB of total memory - so the upgrade would be wasted.

Why do you want to get new RAM? Is your current RAM unsatisfactory?

I would save the $145 for my next build, but it's your money. If you believe it will give you a $145 increase in performance, get it.

shuojinz

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010

I am running on a 64bit OS I want new RAM since this one is a replacement for when my OCZ Obsidian died and I definitely feel it was alot slower in comparison also I'm not ready to get a new PC for another year this one is still quite new and RAM is the last hardware that's not up to par in my opinion also I've heard that on Intel PCs Speed matters more while on AMD latency matters more and I have an Intel core 2 Quad Q9400 so in my case would it be the contrary or does the latency matter great enough that it is a better selection regardless?

Either RAM will increase your system's performance. Lower latencies are better on any system, but sometimes the increased performance isn't cost-effective. In your case it is, get the 7-7-7-x. There is a table here that shows the difference in nanoseconds (!), yeah I can't really tell the difference either.

shuojinz

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
A valid point I suppose but another person said to go with the other and his reason : "I would go with the 1333 it's only $5.00 more. If you down clock the 1333 it will probably run at 7-7-7-18. If you could overclock the 1066 to 1333 it would probably have to run at 9-9-9-24. I would bet if you raised the voltage on the 1333 you could probably lower the latency on it."