owenthelost

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hi all - I am not brand new to building PCs (this will be my 3rd), though I am new to encountering major problems.

My board does not POST on power on. Fans spin, components are getting power, but no POST and no BIOS interface. I have done my best to follow the extremely helpful guides sticky-posted in this forum but no luck so far. The troubleshooting I've done so far, as well as my configuration, is included below.

I'm pretty confident I have not damaged the components so I wonder if I have made mistakes with compatibility... though I've double-checked gigabyte.us for the CPU compatibility and am unsure what I might be missing.

Any guidance would be appreciated! Is it time for me to return the board to the vendor or have I missed something? I'll be giving all the threads on here another look before I send it back but I'm pretty close to giving up on this one.

Owen

---

Troubleshooting:
1)I installed all hardware in my case, connected all hardware listed below as well as monitor, keyboard, and mouse according to the provided instructions and consistent with previous PC builds I have done. There were no problems with CPU or heatsink installation, chip fit normally without undue force and fit securely in the socket. No static discharges were noted during installation and precautions were taken to avoid them. At power on, components are powering on including the HDD, CPU fan, case fans and front panel LEDs, but no beeps are heard and no BIOS interface seen on monitor.
2)I confirmed that the monitor is working and connected it to the graphics card DVI port, as well as the onboard video VGA and DVI ports. No change.
3)I confirmed that the CPU is on the Gigabyte supported list given on gigabyte.us.
4)I disconnected the graphics card, then DVD-RW drive, then HDD. No change.
5)I disconnected all components, removed the motherboard from the case and placed it on an insulated surface, then connected the minimum components needed to achieve a POST as I understand it -- the PSU connections to MB and CPU, CPU fan connector, memory, speaker, power switch. No change.
6)I confirmed by testing with another motherboard that the speaker, HDD, keyboard, mouse and monitor are working.
7)I tried separately connecting the HDD, a fan to the NB_fan connector, and the monitor. No change.
8)I removed the memory modules and tried again with 0, 1, and 2 memory modules installed. No change.
9)I found that the memory modules are not explicitly listed as tested memory on gigabyte.us, but confirmed that the specifications are compatible with the MB specs (DDR3, speed, and voltage.) Though, even if there is a compatibility issue with the memory, I would expect the motherboard to POST, no?
10)I double-checked that no parts appear to have any physical damage - none found.
11)In between several stages of troubleshooting, I reset the CMOS memory both with the jumper and by pulling and replacing the battery.
---

Configuration:
MB: Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3, part no. MA790GPT-UD3H v1.0
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W, part no. HDZ965FBGMBOX, with bundled heatsink and fan
Memory: 2x Kingston ValueRAM 2GB DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Ch., part no. KVR1333D3K2/4GR
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s, part no. WD7501AALS
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower XT 750W max output, single 12V rail, part no. W0229RU
Graphics: 1x Powercolor Radeon HD 5770, PCI-E x16, 128-bit, part no. AX5770 1GBD5-PPG
DVD-RW drive: Lite-On IDE, part no. SOHC-5236V06C
Front Panel connections incl MB speaker: Provided with Lian Li case

Lutfij

Titan
a little bit more details than needed :)

ok look and see if all ur connections have been made to all the connectors on ur board and ur grafix card. But i think u'v already done that reading ur troubleshooting checklist.

did u check in your bios to see if u've disabled the onboard grafix on ur mobo - and have the dedicated rafix card enabled.

i think u mite need to RMA the board, it mite have a defect. Thas how electronic goods are - sometimes u mte end up with a @@ty piece of hardware.

put all your components on another board (include ur GPU) and see if it posts/works on that machine - that way u'll know some of them arent bad hardware.

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

If he can't post how can he get into his bios...?

if you have another CPU that fits your motherboard socket try using that and see if it posts.

TRENDING THREADS