Any movement, in-game is choppy with a mouse. Windows 7 64bit ATI 5850

Last response: in Systems
February 23, 2010 12:28:59 AM

Hello.

I built a my very first PC last week:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Logitech MX518 Wired Mouse
Generic Dell Keyboard Wired
Samsung 46" LCD HDTV 60Htz -1080P via HDMI (also used DVI)
AMD Phenom II 945 3.0GHZ
XFX 5850 1GB HD-585A-ZNFC
MB ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G
PSU OCZ OCZ700MXSP 700W
MEM 4GB DDR3 CRUCIAL 2Gx2 CT2KIT25664BA1339
HD 500G WD SATA2 32M WD5000AADS
DVD BURNER LITE-ON
CASE ROSEWILL CHALLENGER

Everything seemed to go flawlessly, until I started to play some games. Any time I look around in Left 4 Dead 2, Crysis or Red Faction, the screen moves in a very choppy manner. When using my keyboard (WASD keys) to move, its very smooth! I'm getting 60FPS in L4D with vsync on and when I move the mouse it feels and looks like 20-30FPS, but FRAPS says 60.

I have used 3 different mice, in various different USB ports.

I have scowered the internets for days reading and doing everthing I found related to microstuttering, mouse lag, and such. I've been using L4D2 as a testing game. So far I've tried:

- Lowered all in game settings to low, disabled AA, AF, lowered the resolution
- Adjusted all possible mouse settings in-game as well as in Windows
- Disabled all startup items
- No antivirus installed
- Turning everything down and tried all possible settings in CCC
- Installed latest DirectX
- Updated all motherboard drivers
- Disabled on-board video in the BIOS
- Uninstalled Logitech drivers and software
- Tried ATI video driver versions 10.2, 10.1 and 9.11 using Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode between them
- Installed AMD dual core optimizer
- Reinstalled Windows 7

*In no particular order*

Mouse movement is always choppy, keyboard movement is always smooth and the framerate is always stable.

I'm lost and frustrated. I've waited 15 years to finally have a gaming PC and this mouse issue is driving me nuts! I have learned a whole lot so far building and troubleshooting this bad boy :)  I'm still pretty new at this.

Thank You
February 24, 2010 7:51:59 PM

can u overclock on the asus board? mayb ur running into a botteleneck issue :S but then again have u seen if u can turn the vsync off and not experience any probs?
June 26, 2012 6:13:30 AM

OK, This is a rather old thread, but it hits the nail on the head, at least in my case. I've got the same issue. Not with all games mind you, but definitely a majority of them. I have the same mouse you have. I don't feel this has anything to do with the processor, videocard, ram or anything else other than something to do with the mouse itself, or my usb ports. I can see this must be an unusual issue, considering no one has responded to you. I would say mouse, but you said you have tried multiple mice to no avail. Have you tried a mouse that wasn't a usb mouse, like a ps2 mouse? Everyone always says the same things about updating video drivers and such. The fact is, I know it has nothing to do with any of that. When I plug my 360 controller up and use it, the problem goes away. This has to be our chosen input device, or the drivers for that device. Don't know much about specifics of usb ports, but do you think it is possible that usb drivers can become corrupted, or perhaps another usb device, (keyboard, etc.) could be causing some sort of interference? I don't know, I've tried messing with mouse smoothing options in games and adjusting options for the mouse in windows. Nothing seems to work. I don't have a ps2 mouse, so I haven't been able to test my usb theory. If anyone has a remedy for this issue, it would just about cure any complaint I have about my PC, and would be much appreciated. I feel exactly like you. Disappointment in the fact that I spent all this money on all of these good components, just to have this annoying little problem souring my experience. And no, I don't want to use a 360 controller, so that would definitely not be a fix in my opinion. I prefer mouse and keyboard, one of the best things about PC games.
!