Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build, won't boot!

Last response: in Systems
February 23, 2010 12:43:35 AM

Step two: Just built new computer, hooked it up, leds and fans move for a FLICK and comp doesnt boot, its like a short.
Step three: History
When was the last time the computer worked right? Just Built
Was there something that happened right before things got bad? Nope
Did you install some hardware? Yes
Did you install some software? No

Step four: The Full Story:
Tell us exactly what is happening.
I hit the power button and it FLICKS for an instant and goes out.
Is it just the program that locks?no
Does the operating system lock up?no

Step five: The specs
List each one of the parts in your computer. This must be a full list. If some parts are from an older build, this might be important.
CPU athon II x3 435
Motherboard (model number) GA-MA770T-UD3P
RAM (Model number, speed, timings, voltage) A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GB2G9-AG -
CPU cooler (stock or not, model if applicable)
Video Card (model number)512-P3-N871-AR
Power Supply (model number, or company and wattage at least)Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Hard drive(s) west dig caviar 500gb
Operating System none
Case (for cooling issues) antec 900
ANY other parts. If you have an ipod plugged in, we want to know.

Step six:
List all the steps you have taken to resolve this yourself. Number them.
1.unplugged everything but the cpu nd psu same problem

More about : build boot

a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2010 2:12:56 AM

Here is something that I have run into in the past. A few things you can try.

One thing that really seems to fix most of the problems, unplug your PSU and remove the CMOS battery. Wait 10 seconds or so, reinstall the battery and plug the PSU in and give it a whirl. Is your CPU fan plugged in?
m
l

Best solution

February 23, 2010 2:31:10 AM

Jvoelker said:
Step six:
List all the steps you have taken to resolve this yourself. Number them.
1.unplugged everything but the cpu nd psu same problem

If you are being unable to run just the mobo, CPU, CPU fan and power supply (only), without the system staying on then here are a couple of things to check:

Step 1.) Make sure you have installed all of the standoff in the case correctly. I tried to look at the back of the board, as it is shown on Newegg and it looks like there are 7 spots for standoffs. Seems odd to me but I am not familiar with your particular motherboard, so when in doubt check the users manual.

Step 2.) Check the 24 pin and 8 pin power connections on the motherboard. In other words, remove the power connections and reinsert them. Make sure they are seated into the sockets. Check the PCU fan connector. NEVER run the CPU without the fan.

--At this point try restarting the system. If it is still shorting out, then move to step 3.

Step 3.) Replace the power suppy. I'd do this before trying to replace the processor or mobo b/c it's easier to buy a power suppy from a local retailer and swap it out.

--At this point try restarting the system. If it is still shorting out then you either have a bad mobo or a bad CPU. Repeat step 3 for whatever component is easier for you to replace. (Hopefully you do't reach this stage and one of the preceeding steps cures your problems--or if someone else has some insight that gets you squared away.)
February 23, 2010 8:15:31 PM

Best answer selected by jvoelker.
m
l
!