Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

X6 1090T vs 1055T - black edition overclocks further?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 30, 2010 9:09:36 PM

I understand that the only two differences between the X6 1090T and the 1055T are the unlocked multiplier and the higher stock frequency of the 1090T. Beyond the ease of the unlocked multiplier, if I am planning on overclocking, would I be able to push the 1090T higher than the 1055T? If I'm overclocking to at least 4 GHz, what is the 1090T's selling point?
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 9:24:24 PM

Its likely binned higher. And yes, the unlocked multiplier would likely allow you to overclock higher.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 30, 2010 9:38:09 PM

Also like intel cpu's with turbo, increasing the base clock increases the turbo increases, giving bigger swings, which can cause instability. Why most at a certain point disable turbo. Initial reports have some having trouble disabling turbo ? I'm sure that will be fixed? But being able to change the multi is definitely going to give you more flexibility in o/c.
Related resources
April 30, 2010 11:02:07 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I came across this video where the guy easily overclocks the 1055T to 4 GHz. Would a 1055T @ 4 GHz likely have the same voltage as the 1090T @ 4 GHz, or would the 1090T's be lower? Also, how much of an additional overclock am I looking at with the 1090T? I'm trying to run something stable but highly-clocked for 5 years, so I'm not sure what ~4.5 GHz (or more) will do to the chip. (This is with an aftermarket cooler.)
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 30, 2010 11:26:26 PM

I would advise you to go to the o/c section here and other forums. Its the newest c3 955 ,965's that hit 4ghz. Thats about it for at least 98% of them. I don't know where these new visions of 4.3 or 4.5 are coming from (cpu's are still at 45nm). And a 6 core is going to generate more internal heat and more cores equal higher chance than a quad of one core holding the o/c back. Some reviewers with the black edition unlocked mufti had trouble hitting 4.0 some got a little higher,then instability at 4.2. I would wait a week or two , until the first wave of 6 core owners report their results before assuming the 1055 is gong to o/c as well as the 1090t did in reviews. IMO
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 30, 2010 11:49:47 PM

Just checked out that fellow from ncix, I like him, thats promising for the 1055, I do remember (but forget link) another review using the 1090T that could not get the BUS speed anywhere near that high (286). But of course they had the Multi to increase.
May 1, 2010 1:55:39 AM

Hey Notty,

I am not sure if any of the X4s or the X6s can hit ~4.5 GHz; I was just saying that 4 GHz seems like it should be the limit if I wish to keep my CPU for 5 years, always running at that frequency. I may be wrong, though. My question was that if the 1055 can hit 4 GHz safely, would the 1090T hit higher and be just as safe? If not, then I just don't understand the selling point of the 1090T for those who are overclocking.

But I agree that I should wait. I don't plan on building until the end of May so I'm just asking around. I may even go with the i5 in the end.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2010 2:07:23 AM

Yes a 6 core at 4.00ghz would be awesome. At 200 or less even more awesome. I like the new top Asus 890 boards. The platforms price and performance match up (even better, (for AMD) than before.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2010 4:17:37 AM

I have my 1090T already running at 4.3Ghz and I have yet to try to get more out of it. I think I might be able too but I have been reinstalling my OS and other stuff. It is 100 percent stable and the CPU Voltage is at 1.541 Volts. It idles at 34-35 degrees celcius, I have a pretty good liquid cooling setup if your wondering how its that low with that voltage. Just wanted to let you guys know that hitting 4.3Ghz is really easy on the 1090T, no problems what so ever. I was trying to insert pictures of CPU-Z but I don't know how. If you want some for validation I can if you tell me how.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2010 4:49:57 AM

Just hit 4.5Ghz on 1.59 to 1.6 Volts in BIOS. At idle ASUS PC Probe II is reporting 1.57 Volts. So far seems to be stable, but I have to do a little bit of testing to find out.
May 2, 2010 2:22:17 PM

Quote:
Just hit 4.5Ghz on 1.59 to 1.6 Volts in BIOS. At idle ASUS PC Probe II is reporting 1.57 Volts. So far seems to be stable, but I have to do a little bit of testing to find out.


Water cooling is not something I can bring myself to buy. With air cooling, do you think that anything over 4 GHz would be safe to run for 5 years?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 6, 2010 3:29:44 PM

Probably not, you get what you pay for. I'd say run it as far as you can go with whatever your willing to spend on cooling and keep an eye on load temps and make sure they don't ever go beyond spec (62C for 1090T). Bottom line, more heat=less life. Heat/voltage also speeds up electromigration (the copper atoms move around till they start shorting adjacent traces,which can be measured in atom diamaters away). Even at stock most of the newer cpu's are lucky to last 5 years (part of the reason why they are warrantied for only 3). Personally I just use a modded air conditioner, overclock the hell out of it, and swap chips/cooling heads every 3-4 years and sell the old chip on ioffer when it's close to dead. By then the new chip is twice as fast anyway (180,90, now 45nm, good till 22nm in 2013 or so). 1090T= 4.6ghz stable (-35C under prime 95).
May 6, 2010 7:47:01 PM

Quote:
I have my 1090T already running at 4.3Ghz and I have yet to try to get more out of it. I think I might be able too but I have been reinstalling my OS and other stuff. It is 100 percent stable and the CPU Voltage is at 1.541 Volts. It idles at 34-35 degrees celcius, I have a pretty good liquid cooling setup if your wondering how its that low with that voltage. Just wanted to let you guys know that hitting 4.3Ghz is really easy on the 1090T, no problems what so ever. I was trying to insert pictures of CPU-Z but I don't know how. If you want some for validation I can if you tell me how.


Hey, try some prime95 for a couple of hours on "blend." I'm trying 4.3 but it fails memory tests (sooner than smFFTs). CPU-Z shows vcore 1.57. What do you guys consider "safe" vcore if max load is 47c on coretemp? I believe that's where the solution is, but don't want to push it too far.
May 7, 2010 12:58:50 AM

Quote:
Probably not, you get what you pay for. I'd say run it as far as you can go with whatever your willing to spend on cooling and keep an eye on load temps and make sure they don't ever go beyond spec (62C for 1090T). Bottom line, more heat=less life. Heat/voltage also speeds up electromigration (the copper atoms move around till they start shorting adjacent traces,which can be measured in atom diamaters away). Even at stock most of the newer cpu's are lucky to last 5 years (part of the reason why they are warrantied for only 3). Personally I just use a modded air conditioner, overclock the hell out of it, and swap chips/cooling heads every 3-4 years and sell the old chip on ioffer when it's close to dead. By then the new chip is twice as fast anyway (180,90, now 45nm, good till 22nm in 2013 or so). 1090T= 4.6ghz stable (-35C under prime 95).


Can someone confirm if this is true? Do most new CPUs last less than 5 years at stock? And how would we know since the "new" CPUs have been introduced in 2008/2009/2010?
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2010 7:03:01 AM

Maybe five years continuous. I have never had a cpu burn out. And I have stuff from the 80's.
!